When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia Model 45 and Dauntless truss

-

prewarmachine

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Thanks to Ian, I'm able to share this short story.
Almost 1 year ago these 2 bikes were part of a large auction. I was hoping they would come across the block, but they never did. The auction closed and the remaining bikes were sold privately.
8 months later I see these 2 along with many others from the auction for sale locally. I ran up to try to land these, but these 2 had already sold.
Yesterday I saw Ian's post about these in a local antique shop. He was very nice to tell me where to find them and right after work, I made the trip up and was successful in adding these 2 to the collection.
I thought these bikes were gone and I had missed out. Extremely happy that I was wrong.

20220527_175608.jpg

20220527_175618.jpg

20220527_175625.jpg

20220527_175637.jpg

20220527_175434.jpg

20220527_175443.jpg

Thanks to Ian, I'm able to share this short story.
Almost 1 year ago these 2 bikes were part of a large auction. I was hoping they would come across the block, but they never did. The auction closed and the remaining bikes were sold privately.
8 months later I see these 2 along with many others from the auction for sale locally. I ran up to try to land these, but these 2 had already sold.
Yesterday I saw Ian's post about these in a local antique shop. He was very nice to tell me where to find them and right after work, I made the trip up and was successful in adding these 2 to the collection.
I thought these bikes were gone and I had missed out. Extremely happy that I was wrong.

View attachment 1635024

View attachment 1635025

View attachment 1635026

View attachment 1635027

View attachment 1635028

View attachment 1635029
Yippeeee!! Glad that it panned out for you.

Does anyone know if the nickel plating was a factory finish? I didn't see mention of it in the catalog, but I've seen one or two other bikes of the period in nickel

Does anyone know if the nickel plating was a factory finish? I didn't see mention of it in the catalog, but I've seen one or two other bikes of the period in nickel
definitely not common or a "regular" out of factory option
judging from the inscribed trophy fork, this might have been a custom order bike in a custom order nickle finish
Trophy forks, I believe, were 98-99, so license plate is 1 year too early for the bike ..... but still real rare license
just my guess!

Can you make out the name on the fork (I can't make it out, especially in Script)? Might be cool to research the name in 1898 and see what comes out!

Last edited:
Both very nice
Just a killer set and even better
Was Ian Passing them Along , Bravo!

That’s as hard to find as the bikes themselves
Great purchase

mark

Yeah the license looks added. I'm guessing since the 45 was both a 1897 and 1898, someone just went with one of them. This does appear to be an 1898 with the fork it has.
The inscription looks like O. A. Kyos. Haven't found anything on it yet, but going to keep looking.
Mark, I would have to agree Ian is the rarest part of this whole deal.

Back