When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia prewar chain guard

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dazed & Confused

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a 1941 Columbia and installing a reproduction chain guard. The brackets I have do not seem to be sized to fit. I would appreciate it if you good people could post a picture of the attachment points of chain guard.
I'll show what I got and the bike.

I have a 1941 Columbia and installing a reproduction chain guard. The brackets I have do not seem to be sized to fit. I would appreciate it if you good people could post a picture of the attachment points of chain guard.
I'll show what I got and the bike.View attachment 1250528
View attachment 1250529
Chain guard and brackets look to be 100% correct.
Chain ring looks to be 100% wrong.
Are you sure the chain ring is not in the way?
You might want to purchase the correct chain ring and saddle for your bike.
You might want to contact @Krakatoa for these parts.
You did a great job on the tank and paint!
Your bike looks awesome.
Also, really nice repops of the correct Torrington Signal (jeweled) pedals are on eBay at a good price.

Chain guard and brackets look to be 100% correct.
Chain ring looks to be 100% wrong.
Are you sure the chain ring is not in the way?
You might want to purchase the correct chain ring and saddle for your bike.
You might want to contact @Krakatoa for these parts.
You did a great job on the tank and paint!
Your bike looks awesome.
Also, really nice repops of the correct Torrington Signal (jeweled) pedals are on eBay at a good price.

Thanks for the response. You may be right re chain ring, but there has been debate over this issue. This Columbia was one of the last to roll off the production line (WW II), I have seen other examples, some say a use of remaining Westfield parts was implemented. (Again, you are probably correct)
The saddle is the way it came, I will look into correct seat. Thanks for the tip on jeweled pedals.
A photo of mounting point of chain guard to frame will help me install correctly.

After looking at your guard picture...you seem to be missing a clamp bracket for the rear mount.

You should have 3 pieces. 2 for the rear chain stay clamp and 1 for the seat mast clamp.

Yes, this helps. The mounting brackets I have are not a large enough to wrap around frame as in your example. Is there a second mount point in rear?
I may have to rig something.
There is a mount point on the seat tube and one on the chain stay.
Sounds like the tube diameter on the repop frames were different but the bracket attached to the chainguard and the holes for the chain stay clamp bolts look to be in the correct position.

After looking at your guard picture...you seem to be missing a clamp bracket for the rear mount.

You should have 3 pieces. 2 for the rear chain stay clamp and 1 for the seat mast clamp.
Yes. I missed that.

Interesting. I just went to ebay and checked reproduction chain guards for sale, all are sold with only 2 brackets.

Back