When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia RX-5 Repro's...any value??

-

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Just as a general question...do these have any value? Yes, I know condition on anything is what makes it worth more. But is this bike worth anything at all, or just a remake that people payed WAY to much for when they came out.
I know they made 5,000, so rare they aren't. And I know they were supposed to sell at $400 and some buyers went nuts and payed up to $1,200.

But...in today's market...are they just a doorstop or something worth hanging onto? (NO, I didn't buy one!)

It's been reported they busted the 5k mark but they are still selling for many dineros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

at the biggest antique/classic bicycle auction of the year in Copake NY I watched a new one
in the box barely crawl up to 300 dollars and I think falling a bit short of that mark.
They bring more money parted out.

The prices have steadily dropped over the past years. I see them sitting with no bids on eBay around $450-$550. Occasionally an exceptionally good example may bring a bit more. The $1,000 days are long gone for these I think, even in the box.

at the biggest antique/classic bicycle auction of the year in Copake NY I watched a new one
in the box barely crawl up to 300 dollars and I think falling a bit short of that mark.
They bring more money parted out.

Well, I was thinking about getting one just to have. Just as a display piece.

But...it would have to be cheap, and those (unless like bobcycles said you find one in a box for that Copake price) are probably not in a condition you would want. Something to ponder at any rate. If one does come along I might just bite the bullet to have one of the last American Made Columbia bicycles.

BTW. If I do happen upon one and it's missing the key, what are the chances of getting a new key? Probably slim and and none and I'd guess. And if I did find one, I'm sure each bike had a different lock so it wouldn't be a universal fit anyway.

If you can find one cheap enough and you like it then get it and display it.If you want one for an investment then dont get one.They are like other repops and are not worth anything to real collectors.They display nicely but take up room a real classic could occupy. I passed a new "Black Phantom" in the box for $500.My buddy bought it and it is junk.and falls apart during rides and rusts just looking at it. As long as you realize what you are getting,you will be OK.

If you find one cheap and want a higher-quality-than-walmart rider, it's a good bike.

If you want to make money on it, like others have said, not gonna happen.

Especially now, with bikes like the walmart retro Columbia available.

I had a Repro Schwinn a few years back. Wow...if you looked at it, it DID rust! Look up CRAP in the dictionary and I'm pretty sure there's a picture of those Schwinn's nwxt to it. Sharp metal edges on the tank and rear carrier. The thinnest fenders I've ever seen. Got rid of it a few weeks later.
Ignaz must have turned over in his grave when he saw what happened to his company.

At least the Columbia was built here with real steal.

Back