When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia Seat tube diameter ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you had to use a shim with a 13/16 Schwinn post, the correct size is probably 21.15mm AKA .833". I have one bike that uses this. I am using an aftermarket Schwinn-type 13/16" x 5/8" seat post with a Wald shim.

It is a nearly impossible size to get, and is often said to be interchangeable with 13/16", but is not. Even Sheldon Brown screwed the pooch on this issue, acknowledging 21.15mm's existence in one place, and listing it as the same as 13/16" in others.
I can't be sure but I believe the correct Columbia shim may be slightly thicker than the one i used. The shim I used came with a cheap 21.1 bmx stem and allowed you to fit in a 22.2 or 7/8 ID fork. Hopefully a Columbia expert could confirm.

If you had to use a shim with a 13/16 Schwinn post, the correct size is probably 21.15mm AKA .833". I have one bike that uses this. I am using an aftermarket Schwinn-type 13/16" x 5/8" seat post with a Wald shim.

It is a nearly impossible size to get, and is often said to be interchangeable with 13/16", but is not. Even Sheldon Brown screwed the pooch on this issue, acknowledging 21.15mm's existence in one place, and listing it as the same as 13/16" in others.
I think it measured exactly that going from the actual post thickness or like 21.18mm. So you're Right👍🏻

As stated I have the post in that Firebolt frame, 1 in the '51 frame, and I believe 1 or 2 more from other bikes that will fit the seat tubes but I'm Really wanting to position the seat back a little further.
Hell Not even 6" but jus' a little. Height is perfect as I like to be flat foot at stops.

I have been half tempted to tube notch & weld 2 seat posts together but I'd hate to bend the seat tube on the frame or worse snap them after welding; being around 160-180 lbs.

I can't be sure but I believe the correct Columbia shim may be slightly thicker than the one i used. The shim I used came with a cheap 21.1 bmx stem and allowed you to fit in a 22.2 or 7/8 ID fork. Hopefully a Columbia expert could confirm.

The Wald shim I used was intended for that same purpose, a stem. I don't know what Columbia used, but I'll bet it wasn't a shim. I imagine they had a seatpost that actually fit.

Super check with mac91xx. He may be able to help you.
Thanks. I'll send him a message. The things we go through to get these bikes either back to original/period correctness & or to customize them huh 🤣 We Really are Addicts & a touch Crazy with Madness 😎

I think it measured exactly that going from the actual post thickness or like 21.18mm. So you're Right👍🏻

As stated I have the post in that Firebolt frame, 1 in the '51 frame, and I believe 1 or 2 more from other bikes that will fit the seat tubes but I'm Really wanting to position the seat back a little further.
Hell Not even 6" but jus' a little. Height is perfect as I like to be flat foot at stops.

I have been half tempted to tube notch & weld 2 seat posts together but I'd hate to bend the seat tube on the frame or worse snap them after welding; being around 160-180 lbs.

I imagine that lucky 7 seatposts must exist in that size, but I have never seen one. The seatpost I am using in my 21.15 bike is an extra long solid aluminum straight one, in the interest of strength.

They do make laid back seatposts, BMX style, in 13/16" that you could use with a shim. I always expect those laid back ones to just bend but solid alloy versions are available, as well as some made out of CR-MO tubing. Either of those should be stronger that the typical ones.

I hate the shim. The first thing it did was slip and scraped the crap out of my new seatpost. It's holding now.

@Ernbar, can you check if your beautiful recent Columbia aquisition has a shim. If not can you measure the OD of the post. I would have bought that bike of yours in a heartbeat if I could have got it packed and sent here.
Yea she is a beauty indeed and a sweet rider. The post is 5/8. Mac 91cut me a post to raise the seat a bit more.

I imagine that lucky 7 seatposts must exist in that size, but I have never seen one. The seatpost I am using in my 21.15 bike is an extra long solid aluminum straight one, in the interest of strength.

They do make laid back seatposts, BMX style, in 13/16" that you could use with a shim. I always expect those laid back ones to just bend but solid alloy versions are available, as well as some made out of CR-MO tubing. Either of those should be stronger that the typical ones.

I hate the shim. The first thing it did was slip and scraped the crap out of my new seatpost. It's holding now.
Yeah I have heard tales of those generic bmx style with & without the braces just folding over. When it comes to steel I can weld & gusset since it'd be 90° but I'm kinda not keen on that look for this bike.

I had that happen before with a polished aluminum post I cleaned after it had corroded some inside the steel frame; I cussed like a sailor, pulled it out, kicked the bike over, & then proceeded to repolish to very carefully try again before tightening the bolt to Superman status 🙄😒 I pity the fool who had to readjust that seat❗

Back