When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia serial number

-

Dc76

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hey guys and gals I picked up an old Columbia today. I know it’s old but maybe you guys can help. I can’t find a Columbia serial number guide.

709AC005-437E-449F-9385-65A52358F175.jpeg

Last edited:

That is what I have used but most of the bikes I've needed to i.d were spot on post war frames. Also helps to post a full on bicycle chain ring side shot; may not be a Columbia at all 🤔

Love seeing Eric's stuff being posted!
Hey it has helped me quite a few times❗ Unfortunately they wanted to over price '50s Columbia bikes with No Tanks & such too far out of my price ranges " jus'cause it's old it's automatically collector/valuable " types

🤣 1 guy even said "if you restored it right it'd be worth 5x the $250 price tag for a free 3 star superb he got before it went to scrap" 🙄😒

A Columbia serial starting with an N denotes a 1935 model. To confirm look also for another stamping above the serial starting with B and either one or two digits afterwards would be the month. Lets see the whole bike as well... Chain ring looks like a Shelby...

A Columbia serial starting with an N denotes a 1935 model. To confirm look also for another stamping above the serial starting with B and either one or two digits afterwards would be the month. Lets see the whole bike as well... Chain ring looks like a Shelby...
I may be inexperienced & or not know any better but I don't see any other stamping on that BB hence why I said to post the whole frame shot as well. Some thongs are Dead Giveaways 😉

Overcode may not be visible in op's picture. Columbia Westfield started using an overcode above the serial number in 1934 with the letter A plus one or two digits for the month. 1934 serial numbers start with an M. 1933 serial numbers start with an L.

Remember that Westfield built Columbia bicycles for more than 26 years, (and 26 happens to be the number of characters in the alphabet).
N serial number prefix stamping could indicate 1935-N\B or maybe ~1922 or so?

Chain ring sprocket looks like a Westfield double D drive crankset, used prior to Westfield adopting standardization in the 1930’s; (perhaps persuaded by Sears?).

Last edited:
Hi, @Dc76

I suspect 1936. There are several other's I have recorded with the same type chainwheel for that year. This one belonging to @rollfaster is a 1936 N, and looks similar to yours. Below is one of Rollfaster's photos, you can see where the dating 'overcode' B6 is located on this bike.

Also, if it happens to be a Morrow rear hub, that will be dated too.

If you do find a code, let us know.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Adrian

1626950814542.png

Back