When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia Special Deluxe Barn find

-

Col SN 2.jpg

Working on a reproduction tank. In the middle of the paint job. I was unable to find the correct style decal, so trying my hand at re-creating one.
With the help of photo shop, I'm getting close. Just have to find a shop that will transform it to a decal.1130821 1130822before photoshop

Hi @Dazed & Confused

CC @TieDye @Mr. Monkeyarms @JLF @Balloonoob because you were kind enough to 'Like' post 14, which I got wrong, and you may like to read the update below.

Thanks for the most interesting photo's (to me!) I've seen so far this year.

Firstly, I apologise for giving you wrong information in Post 14 (Quoted below, because I can't edit it). This reminds me not to be an expert in things, because there's always exceptions.

The frame is H11, which I confirm means it was made November 1941.

The serial number is, as you said, G9241. This caused me a problem because, as I said in post 14, G is 1942, and the numbers start at G17434. Looking further back, it turns out that 1941 was an unusual year because of Pearl Harbor. Westfield used numbers F5000 to F213132, and also G5000 to G17433, which covers your bike. So it was built at the end of 1941, and is the only one I've seen like that.

I'm guessing that Westfield started using G early, because for a time, bicycle production shut down after Pearl Harbor, and restarted when rationing of bicycles started. I think that they may have used G to indicate bicycles built after rationing came in, to prevent people fiddling the system.

Again, thanks for putting these pictures up.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Post 14 (Wrong)
Thanks for the quick reply.

Looking at the pictures you are doing a good job.

It should be 5 or 6 numbers long (yours I think 5), since the G numbers started at G17434. So there may be another number on the end. Please let me know, if you get the chance?

Either way, it's certainly G3XXXX, so the frame was built up into a bike Jan or Feb 1942. Which makes it one of the last prewar bikes, not fitted with Blackout parts.

Also, there was a hold on bike sales for a while immediately following the Pearl Harbor attack, which may explain the time lag between the frame being made, and the bike built up.

This bike is G35983, so I think has the type of chainwheel and guard yours would have had originally.

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/need-some-westfield-columbia-bicycle-help.150891/

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @Dazed & Confused

CC @TieDye @Mr. Monkeyarms @JLF @Balloonoob because you were kind enough to 'Like' post 14, which I got wrong, and you may like to read the update below.

Firstly, I apologise for giving you wrong information in Post 14 (Quoted below, because I can't edit it). This reminds me not to be an expert in things, because there's always exceptions.

The serial number is, as you said, G9241. This caused me a problem because, as I said in post 14, G is 1942, and the numbers start at G17434. Looking further back, it turns out that 1941 was an unusual year because of Pearl Harbor. Westfield used numbers F5000 to F213132, and also G5000 to G17433, which covers your bike. So it was built at the end of 1941, and is the only one I've seen like that.

I'm guessing that Westfield started using G early, because for a time, bicycle production shut down after Pearl Harbor, and restarted when rationing of bicycles started. I think that they may have used G to indicate bicycles built after rationing came in, to prevent people fiddling the system.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Post 14 (Wrong)
I only liked post 14 because it was nice that you were actually trying to help the guy. That was why I liked the post. I wasn't being snarky. If I was, there would be no question about it. :) It's admirable that you are able to admit you were wrong. Most people here would not. No problem from me here.
Deb

I only liked post 14 because it was nice that you were actually trying to help the guy. That was why I liked the post. I wasn't being snarky. If I was, there would be no question about it. :) It's admirable that you are able to admit you were wrong. Most people here would not. No problem from me here.
Deb

@TieDye

Hi Deb,

No, I didn't think anyone was being snarky. No problem from me either (-;

In fact it was your like that brought me back to this and so I spotted the new post, and the error. I thought I'd better let people know who'd read the post that it was wrong since I'd rather it be accurate.

Please don't think I'm being weird about it in any way, it's certainly not my intention.

Have a Great Evening,

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @Dazed & Confused

Best Regards,

Adrian

Post 14 (Wrong)
Wow Interesting stuff. As always thanks for the insight Adrian. Folks like you provide a great service to the site and the hobby.

- Nate

Hi @Dazed & Confused

Best Regards,

Adrian

Post 14 (Wrong)

Thanks for the updated info. My question is the two stamped numbers (H11 ) Frame is stamped Nov 1941 and the (G9241) is this the assembly date and stamped
after Pearl Harbor and before Jan 1942. In other words, This bike was built up finishing the stock on the floor prior to the factory bicycle shut down.

Back