When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia Superb

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Brian

Finally riding a big boys bike
I ran across this Columbia Superb and picked it up for a descent price. I have about a level zero knowledge with Columbia. From the serial number it looks like a bad factory stamp for the first letter maybe? Was it maybe an "F" for the year 1941? I was hoping someone may give me a bit of knowledge on this bike. I know it's a prewar with some pro's and con's (I definitely need some parts for a complete bike). The shape of the frame, fenders and chainguard are great! Is this a Three Star? Five Star? Or......?
May sell not sure yet.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think your right on with the year. That head badge and frame graphics was from 1936-1945.
Columbia had not yet alocated the the Deluxe model as the 3 star or five star. It was just a Superb which came with a tank and rack and the Superb Deluxe or the F9T Deluxe came with Tank, Guard, Rack, and dash which has a Speedometer and a Clock.
I like the bike it has some pretty nice original paint and I'll bet it cleans up really nice.
It's really up to you haow far you want to go with it. Look at the frame. If it has marks where the tank would be. It probably had a tank.
There are a LOT of Reproduction parts for that bike on Ebay but the original parts are hard to find and can be costly.
I'd like to see it biult up. Cool bike.
JKent

I think your right on with the year. That head badge and frame graphics was from 1936-1945.
Columbia had not yet alocated the the Deluxe model as the 3 star or five star. It was just a Superb which came with a tank and rack and the Superb Deluxe or the F9T Deluxe came with Tank, Guard, Rack, and dash which has a Speedometer and a Clock.
I like the bike it has some pretty nice original paint and I'll bet it cleans up really nice.
It's really up to you haow far you want to go with it. Look at the frame. If it has marks where the tank would be. It probably had a tank.
There are a LOT of Reproduction parts for that bike on Ebay but the original parts are hard to find and can be costly.
I'd like to see it biult up. Cool bike.
JKent
That's real good information! Thanks! I took about 10 minutes of clean up on the frame to see what I may be able to work with. A lot better but if I buy reproduction parts to complete it , should I totally re-do paint as well? I definitely won't be able to afford original parts I'm sure.

image.jpg

I would not touch the paint, Other than cleaning it. And it looks like your doing a good job cleaning it.
It's looking good.
If it was my bike, I would not buy reproduction parts.
I would just build it up as a standard equipped bike, ie. no tank, or dash with the clock or speedometer.
I'd try to find a good rack in matching patina and color put a good seat on it and some decent wheels with good modern tires.
Service everything and make it a rider. And take my time finding some original parts as I can afford them.
That's going to make a sweet rider if you just build it up.
JKent

I would not touch the paint, Other than cleaning it. And it looks like your doing a good job cleaning it.
It's looking good.
If it was my bike, I would not buy reproduction parts.
I would just build it up as a standard equipped bike, ie. no tank, or dash with the clock or speedometer.
I'd try to find a good rack in matching patina and color put a good seat on it and some decent wheels with good modern tires.
Service everything and make it a rider. And take my time finding some original parts as I can afford them.
That's going to make a sweet rider if you just build it up.
JKent
I'm gonna do exactly what you said. Thanks for the good advise.

Hey Brian, nice project. I always loved those bikes. Here is a picture of one I had a number of years ago. It was an original paint bike. I bought the bike at a local auction for $160, wish I still had it. It's the only picture I have. Hope it helps with what yours could look like. Keep us posted.

SANY0001.JPG

Hey Brian, nice project. I always loved those bikes. Here is a picture of one I had a number of years ago. It was an original paint bike. I bought the bike at a local auction for $160, wish I still had it. It's the only picture I have. Hope it helps with what yours could look like. Keep us posted.

View attachment 347151
Wow that's nice! Thanks for the photo

Mannnn, I remember the back yard where I found that bike, got stung by a bunch of damn ground bees!

Humorously, I have a black superb repops rack that I'm about to post for sale

IMG_4387.JPG

Back