When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia Tandem

-

hwstem

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi,
I'm a new member and have recently found a Columbia model 42? in the attic of our family company. I know that it belonged to my great uncle for awhile but I think it may have been my great grandfathers of my grandfathers because it has the initials JS cut into the rear and only saddle left. It is a womens/mens bicycle with both riders steering. It is also missing the front saddle. It has wooden rims that I play to get restored by a local wheel builder. I would like o hear from any one with information about this bike including year, model,value (It is not for a sale) and if the bike is complete.
Thanks,
hwstem

Attachments

• SADDLE..jpg
    SADDLE..jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 125
  • NAME PLATE..jpg
    NAME PLATE..jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Columbia..jpg
    Columbia..jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
That's a sweet tandem, I posted a Rambler on here and have had no responce. I guess there might not be to much intrest. I dont have much info on early tandems but I'm fairly sure someone should have info based on the model # and possibly the rear hub can narrow it down? Good luck.

Could the Model be "43"? In 1895-1896 Columbia made this model 43. In 1897 the same bike was Model 48.

Sorry I was trying to link to a scan from the Columbia catalog but am having some trouble with the link.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I think mine is the bottom on based on the chain guard thing but that could be missing be cause the down tube on the front is curved. the ad you put up what year are those? Also there is no head bade but just name plate where head badges know to fall off? and the add dos not show the nameplate. Thanks for the info and picture.
-hwstem

Model431895.jpg
[/IMG]

models47481896.jpg
[/IMG]

The first image I put up was from the 1896 catalog. The model 43 in this is 1895 and the last is 1897.

Last edited:
Thank You for the pictures. Mine must be the top one about 1895. Any Ideas on where to find saddles to fit those seatposts?
Thanks,
hwstem

Swap meets, ebay, ask here at the cabe. Sooner or later someone may have one for sale.
Thank You for the pictures. Mine must be the top one about 1895. Any Ideas on where to find saddles to fit those seatposts?
Thanks,
hwstem

Back