When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia Viking Story

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Auggie56

Look Ma, No Hands!
Bought a 1957 Vintage Columbia Seminole bicycle around January this year. For the age, it's in decent shape, took it apart and cleaned all the parts, the tires were old and were rotted. I replaced them, the rusty bent up fender braces, and the head bearings (fork). The rims were brush painted the same color as the graphics. Even after stripping them there was no chrome on them, so I spray painted them the same color and replaced damaged spokes. From what the gentlemen on the bike forum say, bikes are worth more if it's original, besides this one has "patena." God, hate that word like something is better if you leave the faded paint, rust and dirt on it? In nineteen sixty grandpa gave me a new Columbia bike from the Goodyear Tire store. It was red with a white seat and a carrier on the back its name was "Viking" stenciled on the tank in white. It cost thirty-six dollars as I remember as its sales tag was still on the handlebars. It was like I got my own personal vehicle to the stars. I rode all over Toledo with two friends, good friend Paul had an old girls balloon bike and he had trouble keeping up. One of the best places was near the Jeep plant, there was a steep grass-covered hill with a narrow dirt bath in the middle. Who knows just how many kids threw their lives away on the dangerous descent into the black cinder parking lot, where new Jeeps fresh off the assembly line were parked. However, Jeeps were never in the way so down the hill we screamed with eyes wide open and a big lump in our throats. Yeah, the first few times it was with the brake on, hey I wasn't that big of a fool back then. It was a thrill once our confidence allowed us not to use the brakes. I'm sure other kids took the same dangerous trip and since we didn't live in that neighborhood we didn't know the local's name for the hill. So we just called it "Suicide Hill" and if you self-saw it today that would be the name that would come to your mind as well. Time went on I turned twenty in nineteen sixty-nine and married my steady, Linda from high school. I didn't have time for bicycles but I bought one for each of our kids when they were old enough to ride. They, however, didn't take to riding bikes like the kids in my day. Thirty years ago we bought the house a door away from the grandparent's house. It was always in the back of my mind to find an old Columbia Viking and bring it back to life for myself, an avertable time machine to go back to the places I traveled in the past. Only found two Vikings like mine online for sale but way overpriced for my taste. I bought this one off eBay for a reasonable price. I'll be cruising the same neighborhood in a couple of weeks. Just might swing by "Suicide Hill" and take that ride one more time. But then maybe not.

John B

Note from our daughter Jessica.

I remember you teaching me how to ride - I will always remember going down one of those side streets - Boxhall, maybe? You would hold the upside-down u-shaped bar on the back of my seat after the training wheels were off. And one time I kept saying, "Don't let go, Daddy!" and you said you wouldn't, and then I turned around to look and you were several feet away, smiling, as I realized you weren't holding on and I could ride by myself.

25.JPG

Back