When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia War Time / Victory Bicycle Help Needed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Stahlhelms

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello,
I posted a Huffman Victory Bike I just got and the help on the CABE has been awesome, but this Columbia has been in the garage as a future project and I need help.
As you can see, the fork is rusted through and broken. The side that is still attacked is almost rusted through.
I know very little about bikes other than what I have found through Google searches and the great info found here.

A few questions:
1 - Would this be considered a Victory Bike? (dating the serial number puts it 1942)
2 - Does it look to be original paint?
3 - Does anybody have a fork to replace the current one
4 - Are seats available? or at least a way to re-cover it
5 - Does it have much value as-is or completely restored? I was thinking of painting it olive drab and using it for reenacting, but don't want to destroy its originality if it has value the way it is.

20221004_102214.jpg

20221004_102228.jpg

20221004_102326.jpg

20221004_102339.jpg

20221004_102354.jpg

Hi @Stahlhelms

G70783 is from around June 1942. You should find a second letter/number stamped above the S/N, probably J6 or possibly J7. If you could let us know, that would help in dating these bikes.

As with your recent Huffman, this was made between the first two batches of Military MG serialled Westfield Columbias.

A few questions:
1 - Would this be considered a Victory Bike? (dating the serial number puts it 1942)
It is made to the 'Victory' specification, but more properly it is a Westfield Sports Tourist VG295.
2 - Does it look to be original paint?
Yes. For Westfields, Black, and a Dark Red are common, Blue less so.
3 - Does anybody have a fork to replace the current one
Try Nate @Krakatoa on this site.
These seats are very fragile, and good originals are not easy to find. They are not too expensive, but it can take a long time. Similar style seats postwar seats turn up often and cheap on Ebay. Someone on here may be able to recover it if you want originality.
4 - Are seats available? or at least a way to re-cover it
5 - Does it have much value as-is or completely restored? I was thinking of painting it olive drab and using it for reenacting, but don't want to destroy its originality if it has value the way it is.
Whilst fascinating to those of us who are interested in WW2, they are not very valuable, especially in poor cosmetic condition. Painting it green won't harm the value, but there is evidence of these bikes (the Huffman too), being bought by the military for recreational purposes at least, and used in their original colours.

Tyres can be difficult, but not impossible to obtain.

The pedals are incorrect, and would probably have been wooden blocked Walds or Torrington 8's.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Adrian

@Stahlhelms

You can also try the 'wanted' section on this forum for the missing parts. The forks are fairly cmmon, and, bear in mind, ladie's ones are the same, just the top tube needs cutting and rethreading. Again, @Krakatoa can help with this.

Best Regards,

Adrian

@Stahlhelms

You can also try the 'wanted' section on this forum for the missing parts. The forks are fairly cmmon, and, bear in mind, ladie's ones are the same, just the top tube needs cutting and rethreading. Again, @Krakatoa can help with this.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thanks, I have one on the way from @ krakatoa .
Do you have a recommendation for tires?
I will need them for both bikes.
Thanks for all your help.

Will these work? I need the tubes... I assume I need the rim strips too.
I haven't worked on my own bike in 40+ years...this is exciting.

Back