When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comet Cycle Co., Toronto, 1896

-

Brian R.

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I recently acquired this 1896 Comet. It rides very nicely on new Stutzman wood rims with metal inserts, and a first year Eclipse Morrow hub brake in place of the original fixie hub. With a 25 1/2 inch frame getting on and off takes some practice. The funny thing is, this is the medium size frame, not the tall frame! The tall frame has a 27 inch seat tube. The smallest size available was 24 inch. The paint, front hub, stem and bars, crank and pedals are original (not sure about seat). The way the seat mounts on the seat post is unusual - I've never seen this type before. It varies from the 1896 catalogue image, which makes me wonder if this bike could be a year older or newer, or the post and seat were added later. It succeeds in getting the seat a bit lower which is helpful on this bike. The head badge is a decal, not metal, which makes me think there must be some mystery bikes out there that are Comets, in Canada at least. The fork crown looks unique so that would be a good identifier.

The Comet factory was at 17-19-21 Temperance Street in downtown Toronto. I will add pictures from an 1896 brochure (photocopy, I don't have the original unfortunately), a couple of cabinet cards, and period ads I found on the 'Net. The Dunlop Trophy Race referred to in the ad was the first one, held in 1894. The last race was held in 1926.

CometMens1.jpg
CometMens2.jpg
CometMens3.jpg
CometMens4.jpg
CometMens5.jpg
CometMens6.jpg
CometMens7.jpg
CometAd2.png
CometAd1.png
CometCard1.jpg
CometCard2.jpg
Comet1896Cat3.jpg
Comet1896Cat4.jpg
Comet1896Cat5.jpg
Comet1896Cat6.jpg
Comet1896Cat7.jpg
Comet1896Cat9.jpg
Comet1896Cat91.jpg
Comet1896Cat92.jpg
Comet1896Cat93.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Filmonger. I'd like to suggest, if anyone in the world has a Comet and is on the CABE, please post photo(s) here. I know there are some very, very expensive wooden ones out there, but I'd like to see other steel ones too.

Last edited:
Obviously a different maker but I have this badge and can't find anything on it. I've searched both bicycle and motorcycle without any luck. V/r Shawn

eureka3.JPG

I recently acquired this 1896 Comet. It rides very nicely on new Stutzman wood rims with metal inserts, and a first year Eclipse Morrow hub brake in place of the original fixie hub. With a 25 1/2 inch frame getting on and off takes some practice. The funny thing is, this is the medium size frame, not the tall frame! The tall frame has a 27 inch seat tube. The smallest size available was 24 inch. The paint, front hub, stem and bars, crank and pedals are original (not sure about seat). The way the seat mounts on the seat post is unusual - I've never seen this type before. It varies from the 1896 catalogue image, which makes me wonder if this bike could be a year older or newer, or the post and seat were added later. It succeeds in getting the seat a bit lower which is helpful on this bike. The head badge is a decal, not metal, which makes me think there must be some mystery bikes out there that are Comets, in Canada at least. The fork crown looks unique so that would be a good identifier.

The Comet factory was at 17-19-21 Temperance Street in downtown Toronto. I will add pictures from an 1896 brochure (photocopy, I don't have the original unfortunately), a couple of cabinet cards, and period ads I found on the 'Net. The Dunlop Trophy Race referred to in the ad was the first one, held in 1894. The last race was held in 1926.

View attachment 722465View attachment 722466View attachment 722467View attachment 722468View attachment 722469View attachment 722470View attachment 722471View attachment 722462View attachment 722461View attachment 722463View attachment 722464View attachment 722475View attachment 722476View attachment 722477View attachment 722478View attachment 722479View attachment 722480View attachment 722481View attachment 722482View attachment 722483

I love Comets.
But you know that this is not the original headbadge decal right?

Back