When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Compax or sport traveler?

-

fxo550

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
f4f9f6a50ac7bb010af2fe5d3318430e.jpg

Is this a boys or girls bike?
Whats original and whats not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1946-48 Columbia Compax Traveler. Looks pretty complete but would need more close ups to pass judgment.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is this a boys or girls bike?
It is uni-sex. Columbia was trying to get the government to buy these for the Airborne (men) to parachute of airplanes.
The saddle, fenders, and lock-nut on the bars looks wrong to me.

Last edited:
It is uni-sex. Columbia was trying to get the government to buy these for the Airborne (men) to parachute of airplanes.
The saddle, fenders, chain ring, and lock-nut on the bars looks wrong to me.

Hello Brant;
It is a civilian after the war, i think there is no rule on these accessories, when a customer wanted to buy a new bike, a seller could offer him several accessories to improve the aesthetics or the confort of it this. (my opinion)
Regards;
Serge

The seat is most defiantly not original to the bike. If the handle bars are the folding ones then they are correct. Its difficult to see from one picture but the rest of the bike looks correct with the exeption of possibly the grips.

The Compax was designed in the late 1930's to be able to fold up and put in the trunk of a car. Westfield Mfg bought the design and started producing Compax's themselves. Soon after that WWII started and the company tried to market them for Marine Paratroopers. Although the marines never purchased them for that purpose there was two models that were designed for military use and sold for use mainly in this county on military bases. It was after the war that they were renamed "The Paratrooper". The names Compax and Sports Traveler were also used on these bikes over the years. They were not considered a boys or girls bike. The term unisex has been used but that word did not exist when the Compax's were in production.

Your bike is a civilian post war model. They came in both balloon tire and light weight models during and after the war.

The bike is not mine yet. Just looking for info. Because i made an offer on the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back