When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Concerns about b6 frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
it has been my experience that an item that is going to fail from a factory flaw will do so long before 75 years have passed.

If all the kids that owned these weighed as much as an adult then it would have most likely failed 75 years ago. I've seen adult ridden middleweights where the BB's were ripped apart and the cantilever bars ripped loose at the down tubes and one where the down tube actually broke were the cantilever bars were welded.. If it's not going to get ridden, then it will be good for another 75 years. 👍

Thanks everyone for the advice! Guess I'll just look at it

If it were mine....I'd clean the area well with wd-40. And check for cracks after that....might look like a crack but could just be crud....stuff was not perfect in the area due to process they used to join the tubes. And any welder with some experience can fix it ....may not be cheap but you'll feel safe riding it. And if you don't want to mess with it. Post it for sale. Then you'll have shopping money for a better example.

Have seen this before - and have repaired same. The bike was / is just fine. The painter called me after putting color on and was having a fit because the frame was cracked - ground it and showed him it was not, brazed it up, filed it smooth and he shot it again for no charge. Have gone through this with several painters. The only one that had no problem with it did the same thing I did - ground it to be sure, brazed it up and leveled it nicely. Early postwar frames were pretty ugly in some places.... like those stay joints.
REC

Have seen this before - and have repaired same. The bike was / is just fine. The painter called me after putting color on and was having a fit because the frame was cracked - ground it and showed him it was not, brazed it up, filed it smooth and he shot it again for no charge. Have gone through this with several painters. The only one that had no problem with it did the same thing I did - ground it to be sure, brazed it up and leveled it nicely. Early postwar frames were pretty ugly in some places.... like those stay joints.
REC
Thanks REC, I did end up cleaning and looking at it closer. It's definitely solid and I dont think there would be a problem. The bike is not going to be a daily rider so I will just keep an eye on it for future problems if any arise.

Back