When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Confused about serial number???

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The pictures aren't all that great and the fenders do look narrow like a Middleweight fender. Chain stays look wide at the bottom bracket. I don't think Schwinn produced a straight bar frame in 57 until the intro of the Tornado so I'm thinking that has to be a 52-53 ballooner. Did it come with wheels, S-2's?

Actually was just the frame and wrong forks. I had the fenders laying around. It's just a POS right now lol

1543555602037348003117.jpg

15435556370901299976080.jpg

Good morning,
There was a straightbar frame produced in '57, and here's one now.
'57 F11C Spitfire is the model, though it is modified with the trusses, apehangers, rack (era correct), and saddle.
57 F11-C Spitfire.jpg

This is truly a middleweight frame. I could fit S-2 wheels on it, I've done that with others, but this frame is indeed a middleweight model. This one was rebuilt a couple of years ago, it has original Schwinn parts used for the rebuild, though they were gathered from here and there as the frame was bought naked. The seller sold me the frame only after having had to cut the stem off as it was seized. I didn't argue as I wanted the frame and had the rest of what I needed.
From the ad: (7D35797 - first week of production with new style serial numbers)
57 7D35797 A.jpg

REC

Last edited:
Good morning,
There was a straightbar frame produced in '57, and here's one now.
'57 F11C Spitfire is the model, though it is modified with the trusses, apehangers, rack (era correct), and saddle.
View attachment 911009
This is truly a middleweight frame. I could fit S-2 wheels on it, I've done that with others, but this frame is indeed a middleweight model. This one was rebuilt a couple of years ago, it has original Schwinn parts used for the rebuild, though they were gathered from here and there as the frame was bought naked.

REC
Thanks for your input! This was mocked up, as I also bought naked, with the wrong size forks :( . Trying to piece together the puzzle!! Any guess on the year of manufacture??

Based on the list earlier posted, looks like January of '57 was when it was made.
I added the photo from the ad I bought mine from, though it was stripped off the other parts when I got it.

REC

Based on the list earlier posted, looks like January of '57 was when it was made.
I added the photo from the ad I bought mine from, though it was stripped off the other parts when I got it.

REC
Thanks again, now to build it up!!

Back