When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Continental Front Fender Brace Wzup?

-

momo608

I live for the CABE
Suspended
So putting on a new front fender and not liking the big holes for axles in the fender brace. Is this right for fork drop out mounted fenders?

Gotta pic the way Schwinn dealers did it?

Thanks!

A slightly longer brace with big holes was used for the axle mounted front fenders on bikes with forged forks like the Varsity. Bikes with tubular forks used slightly shorter braces with smaller holes for the fender mount on the fork dropout.

EDIT: found some pics...

huexxz.jpg

4si5i9.jpg

Last edited:
27" wheel Lightweight fender braces as listed in the 1975 Dealer parts catalog:

Front:
52 927 (5510) Cadmium plated, use with fork having fender brace lug
52 928 (5511) Cadmium plated, use with forged fork

Rear:
52 924 (5548) Cadmium plated (also used on 26") [I believe two of these are used on EF bikes]
52 930 (5570) Cadmium plated Sports Tourer and Super Sport Upper
52 931 (5571) Cadmium plated Sports Tourer and Super Sport Lower

Note that these braces were listed under the same part numbers as being chrome plated in catalogs prior to '69, and the Ladies' Super Sport came standard with chrome braced fenders from 1966 through '71.

Last edited:
Sorry, my bad. I edited the above list to include the mfr. part numbers. As you can see the 5548 brace in the eBay listing is a rear fender brace.

Unfortunately I don't see any listings for the one you want, which is:
52 927 (5510) Cadmium plated, use with fork having fender brace lug

The following two listings are for #5511 (forged fork version) in chrome and cad respectively. Schwinn typically tacked an "F" on the mfr. part number for chrome versions of parts that would otherwise be cad plated:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=201392651338
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=131561610029

s-l600.jpg

s-l600.jpg

Strangely these were listed in the catalog under the same Schwinn part number, if you ordered one in '69 or later you got cad, before that you got chrome.

Last edited:
There are Suburban fenders with that brace. Trying to work something out. Thanks for the help!

What's with the Opaque Blue Suburban in the first pic?
I thought Suburbans all had tubular forks. That looks to have a flat blade fork. That's a new one on me.

What's with the Opaque Blue Suburban in the first pic?
I thought Suburbans all had tubular forks. That looks to have a flat blade fork. That's a new one on me.

I was hoping somebody would ask. In fact just to beg the question I specifically searched for '74 Suburban pics of both types and luckily found them from the same eBay seller, even taken in the same position. ;) So this is what's up - from the 1974 Schwinn Dealer News Flash #10 dated 3/28/74:

SUBURBAN FRONT FORKS - Our supply of tubular front forks has not been received from our suppliers in the quantities needed and beginning April 1 we will substitute forged forks on Suburban models for a period of about two weeks. Based on the latest information from the manufacturers of these forks, we feel that there should be no further substitutions beyond these two weeks.

For further reference note that the frame serial on the Opaque Blue one with the forged fork was DKxxxxxx (April '74). Of course since the headtube serial numbers were stamped before the frames were even built, you can often see these with serial numbers dated several months earlier.

b50gu1.jpg

Interesting, ive only ever seen Lime '74 Suburbans with the flat blade fork.

Ive also noticed the fender brace tab on some tubular forks is off set and some are completely flat with the fork end. Was always curious as to the differences. Its almost like bikes that were factory equipped with tubular forks and fenders had the offset fork, and all others were just flat and there for the convenience if fenders were desired?

Back