When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Continental Front Fender Brace Wzup?

-
I was hoping somebody would ask. In fact just to beg the question I specifically searched for '74 Suburban pics of both types and luckily found them from the same eBay seller, even taken in the same position. ;) So this is what's up - from the 1974 Schwinn Dealer News Flash #10 dated 3/28/74:

I'm a believer of not waiting for people to ask, just throw it out there and we'll talk about. I think it's OK to ask and answer your own questions online. Anything to get the conversation going. You never know where it might lead. You mentioned to me about year appropriate reflectors, I'd like to read about that.

Interesting, ive only ever seen Lime '74 Suburbans with the flat blade fork.

Suburbans were available in Opaque Blue, Chestnut and Lime that year and I've seen forged fork versions in all of those colors.

Ive also noticed the fender brace tab on some tubular forks is off set and some are completely flat with the fork end. Was always curious as to the differences. Its almost like bikes that were factory equipped with tubular forks and fenders had the offset fork, and all others were just flat and there for the convenience if fenders were desired?

The tubular forks were supplied by several external companies, One that was popular in the '70s was Tange and so far I've been unable to identify the others. I've seen several minor variations in the fork ends (dropouts) but from what I've seen that had more to do with the mfr. and/or the time they were produced.

Back