When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Contini

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

dnc1

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Anyone have any info on Contini bicicletes?
This one is soon coming home with me from Mallorca.
Disregard the forks, nothing to do with this machine.
Campagnolo bottom.bracket, Columbus rear dropouts.
Might be one for you to cast an expert eye over @juvela?
20190913_204200.jpg

20190913_204334.jpg

Crazy frameset.

-----

Companion of knife ans spoon can certainly not be original.
Would not be surprised if steerer marked "AKISU."

Curved tubes suggestive of TT application.

We are certainly in the early eighties here...

-----

As I said disregard the fork; you're right re. the "TT" styling @juvela. The correct fork is very reminiscent of a Cinelli design (sadly no pictures at the moment).
Does anyone know the name of this 'round to square' profile Columbus tubing?
20190914_183627.jpg

This tubing features on the top and down tubes.
I've read that some of these frames were used for some pretty serious racing (not that I have any provenance to speak of) and I'm looking at a very high-end build. Campagnolo all the way methinks, and a very bright colour scheme to match.
Some of these must have made their way across the pond. Would be interesting to see any other examples.

-----

Hope this annum's Palma sojourn free of any impromptu inland waterways. ;)

Given date would expect an oem stern spacing of one-two-six.

This means gear block would have been either a conventional six or a narrow seven.

(Slightly) puzzled by presence of braze-on for mech anteriore.

With chainstays this short one gets into crossover binding problems rather quickly.

Many frames of this pattern were conceived by their builders to be of a single plateau drive.

Conceivable front mech braze-on may be a post-manufacture addition, along with seat tube w/b.

If we take a narrow seven gear block as an example the rider would likely have had only four usable gears with the small c/w and four with the large. Yielding only eight usable combinations out of a nominal fourteen.

One maker who produced framesets of similar pattern was HARAL of France (Haute-Savoie, up against the CH border). Their design included a curved top tube. Have a few images of these saved on me hd but am away from "the ranch" this week. Shall essay their erection semana prossima.

-----

Sadly @juvela, once again the Iles Baleares have been inundated with some terrible 'tormentas' in the last week, bringing much needed rain after months of drought, but also causing much flooding once more.
The braze on for the front mech is original; I've seen the same now on several other, later machines.
I'm now of the opinion that this is a very early example of their TT bicicletes de Carretera.
It lacks the curved chain stays of their later '80s/'90s machines.
Also the treatment of the seatpin binder bolt suggests an earlier era, 80's/'90s models have a bolt between the top rear of the seat stays.
Curioser and curioser!
Will have to look for a frame number I guess. I know it has Contini stamped into the drive side chain stay.

-----

Hola Señor W. -

dating - usually think of the seat tube w/b as becoming widespread ~MCMLXXXIV.

sounds like you enjoy a knowledge of this marque. alas, for me it is nada.

did find these two links with which you may be already familiar -

https://chebici.es/historia-de-la-bicicleta-contini/

https://picclick.com/Contini-Cinelli-LoPro-time-trial-funny-bicycle-223493607710.html

---

thought i had saved some HARAL images of their TT frames to me HD but alas no.

here is a forum discussion post on a HARAL Chambery -

velo encyclopedia entry on the marque -

http://encycloduvelo.fr/haral/

---

compatriot of spoon and knife hath yet to make an appearance. perhaps ye shall be able to persuade him to overcome his shyness for a daguerreotype.

-----

Thanks @juvela , sadly the fork (and the rest of the machine) have not yet left Mallorca.
I had come across those two links, but even in Spain, it seems to be a very obscure marque.
I'll keep searching.

Who is Senor W? I am Senor D, (or , Senor C., if formality is required).

Last edited:
-----

Credit me poor "memory", which be just a memory, Don D. :anguished:

Fortunately am a bachelor, otherwise would forget me wife's name.

The folks from "the home" are coming for me next week...

While the forum has rules against bad or abusive language there be none against poster errors. Otherwise would have been banned long since. :eek:

-----

Back