When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conversion project

-

RedRider48

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hey Guys, during this Covid Pandemic, I've navigated through a couple of interesting projects, at least, to me. Looking for my next project, I decided to haul out of storage this Hiawatha, I purchased 6-8 years ago. My original thoughts was to make a Whizzer Bike, of sorts with adding a 2T motor. However, I "nixed" this when I took delivery of a real 1948 era Whizzer. Therefore the "2T" idea was taken off the table, at the time (6-8 years ago.) Fast forward to this month, since it needed wheels/tires, handle bars, pedals and was a "skip tooth" version (noted by it's crank), I quickly learned, not only, the scarcity of these parts, but, how expensive. It can be easily argued the conversion cost will exceed the cost of purchase the original parts, but, factored into this, is the "fun" aspect of doing it.
Therefore, have set about a new venture of converting it to an eBike! Am I going rogue? Is the idea crazy for such a wonderful relic? Yes, it would be if I "bastardized" it to do so. But no, I can add an eBike conversion kit and not harm one link of its chain. LOL!
I'll keep ya'll posted on this craziest.
BTW, ran across a nice old Roadmaster step through yesterday while seeking parts. It's a "skip-chain" and for sale too.

D660FAE2-7491-4DFA-A704-E8ED9FBA76B9.jpeg

Yeah that's a cool bike. Liking the peaked fenders. You can pick up a front e-hub and get it rolling electric if you so desire. Just keep the front wheel around so the next caretaker can enjoy pedaling. Good luck!

Reactions: JLF
Wow, I like the looks and color of that ride. Looking forward to your updates concerning the conversion and how it performs since it may inspire me to take on that kind of project. Best of luck!

E bikes are hot right now.I would go for it.Keep us updated on the project.

Nice looking bike I like the colors. Good luck with your conversion. Keep us updated. And maybe start thread in the projects section.
Hammerhead

As someone who has done his fair share of ebike conversions going back about 20 years I would recommend a rear wheel hub motor. You can convert a sprocket to a skip tooth type by using an even number tooth sprocket and removing every second tooth. Install the appropriate rear rack and find a period leather doctors bag to attach to it. You put the battery pack and controller in there. It adds a little class and uniqueness to the conversion. By putting your drive wheel to the rear and your controller above you have a short run of wiring to the motor. The twist grip or lever throttle wire is small and can be run down the back of the seat stay and across the bottom of the frame. If you want pleanty of power for hills run a 48 volt 1500 watt system.

Back