When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conversion.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This one, is done. My son and I will be riding DL1 Roadsters around Lake Pepin next month. The bike got new Schwalbe Delta Tour tires, a 22 tooth Shimano rear sprocket, new KMC silver chain, NOS Fibrax brake shoes, new Brooks B66 saddle and a new attitude with the AW hub converted to S5 five speed configuration. All the bearings are new grade 25. The bell crank is from an old Shimano 555 three speed (didn’t want to butcher a genuine bell crank to use the spring) and I cut stainless solid stock to make the nail. I spent a bunch of time truing the wheels, I wanted them perfect since the bike uses rod brakes. I amputated the right side of a Suntour ten speed friction shifter, and removed the cable stop and guide for my high/low left side shifter.
I polished the dead paint off. The bike looks, shifts, and rides like new, with enough signs of use that I won’t care if it gets scratched or wet.

I’m going to ride it.

CCC2F16B-7D85-4A1E-94B5-38EBAA071864.jpeg

BA86D761-213B-41E3-98C4-23AC2BC9FCC2.jpeg

A6669D31-5633-4D09-B021-755726CA101A.jpeg

9636CD43-54BD-45FD-9681-C7DE1916B87F.jpeg

Cool. Flip the front brake pad holders around so the pads are between the stirrup and the forks. Yours are on backward.

Ted

A lot of times the DEALER set them up that way, once you weren’t in Minneapolis/St. Paul, a dealer might only sell one or two of those a year. There is a tutorial on You Tube, search “Gentleman Cyclist, rod brakes 2009”, my friend Paul worked at bike shops in that era, and has a pretty good grasp on making rod brakes work, or, at least work a little better.
Ted

Last edited:
Back