When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool Racycle Pacemaker

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
1915!!! Seat Frame is Wrong, European!! Easy Fix!!
Good Luck!
Racycle 1915.jpg

Gary, I suspect your bike does fly with a 9 tooth rear sprocket. However Junkhunter's bike above has a 16 tooth rear sprocket. That's why Shawn is correct "The gearing actually works out pretty close to a standard drive train due to the size of the rear sprocket".

A gear ratio calculator and a little math tells the story. Junkhunter's bike with 40T front and 16T rear sprockets combined with 28" wheels allows him to travel approximately 18 feet per crank revolution. Your bike Gary on the other hand with 40T front and 9T rear sprockets combined with 28" wheels allows you to travel approximately 32 feet per crank revolution. This is why Junkhunter's bike has a fairly normal gear ratio and your bike runs like a race horse!

My front sprocket is only 28 T so 22.7 feet per crank revolution, if I calculated that right. Now you've got me thinking about how many revolutions it took to ride 22 miles a couple weeks ago. ;)

My front sprocket is only 28 T so 22.7 feet per crank revolution, if I calculated that right. Now you've got me thinking about how many revolutions it took to ride 22 miles a couple weeks ago. ;)

I concur, you are correct, I calculate 22.9 feet so we are in the same ballpark.

If we split the difference at 22.8 feet, your 22 miles would have required approximately 5094.7 turns of the crank. :)

Here is the patent for the triple spring fork, I recall that in the early years of it's availability, you could choose between the triple spring or the dual leaf..... That fork was used I believe untill 1909.... Cool Pacemaker! It would be interesting to see the chain cleaned a little to see if it might be the super-rare Racycle chain....
image.png

Oh! Murray Schenck was employed by Miami Cycle, specifically Racycle.

Last edited:
What is the serial number? Should be on the Bottom Bracket.... Also a picture of the BB would be nice as well. Did you have a look down the seat tube - Miami used to put a tag there with some info on the bike when it left the factory. sometimes people get lucky and find them intact.

Back