When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool video will bring back memories for some of you

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-
Too cool. Remember the days well when they use to let kids be kids. We had the vacant lot, treehouse, bike jumps, use to play army and tackle football and had all the scars and injuries that was part of learning life and growing up !

Awesome! I remember the jumping faze...Jumped off a sidewalk where stairs used to be ...5 foot drop … stuck the front wheel in the gravel.. hit my nuts on the bars ..rolled around in agony for a few minutes .. got back on and did it again ..successfully... Great video!

My folks never sprung for a Schwinn bike back when I was a kid...so paper route money bought me an original campus green 68 Sting Ray used
out of the Santa Monica Evening outlook classifieds. I still remember going up the steps to the apartment and handing the lady 30.00 bux...
then...Sissy bar was cut, Pep Boys sort of industrial Blue paint was purchased, Front S-2 was found and Uniroyal knobbies were the choice in our
circles back then....number plates and motorcycle grips...etc etc... you had to improvise.
Santa Monica in the early 70s had basically every vacant lot transformed to a BMX course. We rode up at Will Rogers state park in
the Santa Monica Mountains also. Keep in mind... NO BMX industry yet... just barely starting to evolve. And yes as you all know
but rarely admit ....California was ground zero for just about any thing 'cool' or major culturally ground breaking in the US. A kid who shared my corner
wrapping papers was Edwin Arnett. He rode Red brand new shiny stingrays and broke frames regularly, was sponsored by Schwinn. Had the record for jumping
like 13 trash cans lined up and wheelie record also, total madman. I believe he became a famous moto cross rider later on in life... Our bikes and
skating and surfing were our life, hard core everyday. Everyday was an insane adventure of risking life and limb having fun. As the industry grew
rapidly, dirt bike riding as we called it, fell out of favor with us for the allure of the ocean and surfing..but I still have fond recollections of that brief
phase of maybe 2 years in my life where it was a major passion and there was no 'industry' just improvisation and ingenuity.
How stupid we were! Sitting around on your ass playing vid games or goofing on your phone is the REAL way to live.
whaaaaat were we thinking?

Here's a killer upload on youtube from early days....

Last edited:
^^^^ funny how jumps were such a big deal when we were kids on our pre BMX Stingrays but when I started mountain biking I never did jumps like that

love the power slides @4:50 in the video. we used to go to the school and do these on the red painted walkways between the buildings because it was more slick.

...not a helmet in sight. how did we ever live through it all??

I rode a hand me down tiger then sting ray. Saved up n bought my first mx style bike with chicken eggs sales. Yep country kids we jump everything, rode any trail and jumped out bikes off train tresses and landed in the river. All just outside our doors. No video game can make you hear feel and develops the muscle memory we had for bikes, horses and later motorcycles. A kid now can game about motorcycles all day long. Take them out too a 72 Honda 750 and ask them where is the e start, kick start or what kind of drive it is and forget about it. They don’t know

Back