When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COPPI "DALLA LIBERA" FRAME ('60s?)

-
have you come to any conclusion as to whether or not present finish is original, any other colour traces visible in spots such as steerer, shell interior, seat tube interior?

things which could suggest a later date or post-manufacture modification are the absence of eyelets on the frame ends, the under BB cable routing, water bottle mounts, brake cable guides and the lack of a hole in the gear hanger for the spring of the Campag Sport gear mech

have you found any markings on steerer?
does it exhibit the five helical ridges of one from A.L. Colombo?

have you been able to determine an intended pillar size?

headset appears OFMEGA - if original to the cycle it would suggest a midliner sort of model, OTOH the work is certainly nice...

brake centres could be a possible clue. if, for example, designed for Universal 61's centres would be 56/64. if designed for Extras (model 51) centres would be 51/64. and if designed for Super 68 centres would be 49/57.

thank you again

-----
Hi Juvela,

The steerer is Columbus with the 5 helical ribs. As far as I can tell, the paint is original; no other colors seen on the steerer or any other areas. Chipped finish shows only the red with no previous coats under it (excepting primer). I have rechecked the seat pin fit, as mentioned prior it fits a 27.0mm (easily, but not excessively loose) and a 27.2mm was a hard fit on a newer post. Reshaped the clamp lug and now a 27.2mm fits properly with clamp tabs spread to give a straight slot; concluded that the seat tube clamp was misshaped from use of an undersized post. No other (visible) markings on the frame other than the "53" on the BB shell and the Campy dropout stamps. The frame size is: ST 53mm c-c/54.5mm c-t; TT 54.5mm c-c, 70mm BB shell.

The headset is OFMEGA, but not original; although I hate to judge a frame by its components since I have some high end frames that were fit with entry level components for one model, but the manufacturer also used the same frame fit with high end components for the top model (Crescent "Pepita" ["Valentino" gruppo] and "Pepita Special" ["Nuovo Record" gruppo] immediately come to mind; both with DB 531 frames and Nervex Pro lugs).

I am curious if someone knows when Columbus introduced their "SL" tubing; certainly was available in the early-mid 70s, but I am unaware if you could get it in the 60s or earlier. A seat post of 27.2mm is generally indicative of an "SL" tubed frame on my early 80s frames and earlier. I will try to remember to weigh the frame & fork once I've pressed the headset out.

I will also check the brakes and see if I can determine anything about that based on your input. I have all of those Universal models handy so it should be easy (if I interpret your #'s correctly); I wanted to use Mod. 68 on it. I have one of those Campy "Sport" (single pulley; is that the one?) RDs, but I think this frame was a bit above that level. I have a "Gran Sport" (50s-60s), "Record" (60s), and "Nuovo Record" (68-69) for RDs to install. I will try (at this point) to build up with all 60s gear excepting the BB assy where I will put in a Campy cartridge type and a Campy square taper chromed steel double crank set.

Last edited:
-----

thanks very much for your very thorough response

minor note on the sometimes encountered small hole in the Campag gear hanger to accommodate the spring of the Sport model rear mech:

an expert over at BF writes that its disappearance comes in 1973

have witnessed irregularities of this in both directions

have seen frames/bikes which were clearly earlier than '73 which did not exhibit it

have seen frames/bikes clearly later than '73 which did exhibit it

the later case could of course be makers using up old stock

---

do not recognise the frame's lugs or bottom bracket shell

if they are Agrati it is a model with which am unfamiliar

---

perhaps another pair of eyes will be along to give more and better information regarding the frame

will send a PM to member @MauriceMoss he is likely to be able to enlighten...

-----

Note: "LATINA" on the decals refers to the region in Italy where the Dalla Libera shop was located. I did some research because I did not think it had anything to do with Spain. An Italian forum member corroborated as to the same.

I have received info about the frame being from later 70s-early 80s due to braze-ons (could have been custom requested by original owner, or by the bike distributor), but the fork does not agree with that assessment (fork is original to the frame). I have yet to see an example with that style fork crown from the 70s or later; only examples have been from the 60s or earlier.

Back