When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corbin & New Departure Hub Dating Project - Need everyone's help pre-1933

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
1904 New Departure Model A ad

Here's another early New Departure Model A ad from the July 1, 1904 edition of the "Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal", page 111. It's a little different from the 1904 ad earlier in this thread. Just more proof of how early the Model A's were manufactured.

books20jpeg-1.jpg

Another JUST FOR FUN!!!!! Copake Auction - New Departure Advertising Medal

This item is listed in the upcoming Copake auction as a "New Departure Advertising Medal" but pretty sure it is a pocket watch fob. A true work of art with some magnificent early bicycle views and of course featuring the New Departure Model A. Hmmmm, I just might have to bid on this..... (which means I probably should not be sharing it LOL!!!!!!!)

ndfob-1.jpg

1908 Corbin Ad

Here's a different 1908 Corbin ad featuring the Model 7 and Model 10. From the July 1, 1908 "Motorcycle Illustrated" publication on page 41.

books19jpeg-1.jpg

Food for Thought!!!!! - 1904 Corbin ad

From a 1904 "Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal" publication on page 239

This is a "FOOD FOR THOUGHT" on what coaster brake arm was on 1904 models for bicycles. In 1903, the P.&F. Corbin Company name changed to the Corbin Screw Corporation but this motorcycle Model 5B hub still has the P.&F. Corbin name on the coaster brake arm and shows it as a "New Departure Duplex". This is the only 1904 Corbin ad I have found to date, so what was on the "1904 Model" Corbin bicycle coaster brake arm?????????? Did the artist use an old hub to do the drawing or did Corbin Screw use up old stock arms or did they just continue to use the P.&F.Corbin name even after the company changed the name in May of 1903. Like I said, "food for thought" but I really need to find a 1904 bicycle hub ad or catalog......

T2eC16ZHJHYE9nzpeb1OBQJ1vEbjmg60_57-1.jpg

MORE JUST FOR FUN!!!!!!!!!: With "Hiram Jones" in 1903

A very "amusing" two-page spread of New Departure advertising featured in the Feb 1st, 1903 edition of the "Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal" on pages 130-131. It features a character named "Hiram Jones". The moral of the story is "why you need to buy a coaster brake". Hiram Jones was also featured in a 1905 ad back in Post #11 and I have a 1914 New Departure brochure featuring Hiram Jones on the way to me I'll post when it arrives.... It looks even more amusing.

books23jpeg-1.jpg

books22png-1.jpg

Distinctions

Kudos Gary to keeping at this so diligently.
I was wondering how to pin point the year of Mod A and Mod M variations. Some subtle differences in the hubs as the years go on, IE: external oil ports, brake arm, brake sleeve that goes over expanding discs (has 1918 pat date) maybe other tales also that pin point the years closer.

MORE JUST FOR FUN!!!!!!!!!: With "Hiram Jones & Family" in 1914

As promised (it arrived today), another interesting & amusing piece of early advertising in the form of a 1914 New Departure brochure featuring "Hiram Jones and Family"!!!!!!!!! Nothing on models but an entertaining brochure on the merits of cycling with the New Departure Coaster Brake.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Kudos Gary to keeping at this so diligently.
I was wondering how to pin point the year of Mod A and Mod M variations. Some subtle differences in the hubs as the years go on, IE: external oil ports, brake arm, brake sleeve that goes over expanding discs (has 1918 pat date) maybe other tales also that pin point the years closer.

Ballontyre, Great idea!!!!!!! I'll try to look a little harder at every ad & parts diagram I find to see if there is a way to distinguish them and establish a timeline with changes to those 2 models since they both had such a long run. Thanks. - Gary

).(ouble CC

Talking about the Mod A and M got me wondering if there are variations in the Model C.

Here are 2 variations of the New Departure Model C, hub on bike has a machined fit, internal cap end, this looks like an earlier hub, it's shown on the link you posted early in the thread to a 1927 Mod C catalog.

The loose wheel picture is from a 1933 bicycle, regular dust cup end. Both hubs are in nickle and have the oil port with dust cap.

Question followers:
Did the Model C change during it's production run (when), or did 2 versions run simultaneously ?

Last edited:
Back