When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corbin & New Departure Hub Dating Project - Need everyone's help pre-1933

-
Gary Sanderson did a great presentation at the last Wheelmen meet in Findlay OH in July, he will be joining us here. He knows the history of the company and what happened when. He is from NJ and has lost power for who knows how long, but he is aware of this link and will join us as soon as he can

Gary Sanderson did a great presentation at the last Wheelmen meet in Findlay OH in July, he will be joining us here. He knows the history of the company and what happened when. He is from NJ and has lost power for who knows how long, but he is aware of this link and will join us as soon as he can

Pelletman, Cool!!!! Thank You for getting some of the Wheelmen involved in this project. It is greatly appreciated. I will continue this all I can on the web & order catalogs as I see them available. Hope Gary gets his power back soon and I continue to pray for everyone in the NE impacted by Sandy. Thanks. - Gary

One more 1910 Corbin postcard appropriate for tomorrow

Thought this 1910 Corbin Postcard was a good one in honor of Mayor Bloomberg doing what I consider the right thing & canceling the NYC marathon even if he did it late. So with that thought in mind I present you Corbin's version of The First Marathon....

T2eC16RHJIQE9qUHsjdPBQebBh50w60_571-1.jpg

KGrHqVHJDUFBLhNqhBQebHZkRQ60_57-1.jpg

Doesn't help dating hubs but one more just for fun....

I find it fascinating that so many companies used pinback buttons to do their advertising particularly in the early days of cycling. Here are some of Corbin's Coaster Brake buttons currently on ebay......

corbinpinbacks-1.jpg

More Corbin Coaster Brake advertising.....

I am a huge fanatic when it comes to looking at early advertising and marketing ads, ideas, items, etc. I guess that goes back to my days of research (in a library actually looking at print media long before the internet) as a grad assistant at GSU a lifetime ago when working on a MBA and in my career in Marketing for a large corporation that spanned a number of years. I guess that makes research such as this enjoyable to me and while this thread is specifically geared to dating these hubs I think it is appropriate to display the items these companies used to advertise their products as well and hopefully they'll help dating as well. So far you have seen print media ads, postcards, pinback buttons, and now watch fobs. I'll continue to add to that list as the research progresses. I guess this is moving toward a dating & history of these companies. Another method of advertising in the early days of cycling was products such as watch fobs for gentlemen & I am sure ladies used them as well whereas the pinback buttons were aimed more at the children's market. With that in mind here is a Corbin watch fob from circa 1900-1910.

corbinfob-1.jpg

New Hub to add to the list - 1930 New Departure Endee Coaster Brake

1930 New Departure Endee Coaster Brake magazine print ad.

Used on children's scooter bikes & bicycles. I find the name "Endee" a great name play as in "ND" for New Departure.

KGrHqNHJBMEeKWlpZBPG97ZUuQ60_57-1.jpg

1929 NEW DEPARTURE COASTER BRAKE Model C ad

1929 NEW DEPARTURE COASTER BRAKE Model C ad

1929NDModelC-1.jpg

1906 Racycle Catalog

http://www.proteanpaper.com//scart_...=norm&srkeyall=ALL&srkeywords=corbin&srcateg=

The 1906 Racycle catalog at Howie Cohen's Everything Bicycles lists the following hub options:

• Corbin Duplex Coaster Brake (Corbin Screw Corporation)
  • Corbin Two-Speed Coaster Brake (Corbin Screw Corporation)
  • New Departure Coaster Brake (The Bell) (New Departure Manufacturing Co.)
  • New Morrow Coaster Brake (Eclipse Machine Co.)
  • Thor Coaster Brake (Aurora Automatic Machinery Co.)

NOTES: This is the earliest instance of the Corbin Two-Speed to date, while Model numbers are not given, could this be the Model 10????

Last edited:
Back