When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corbin & New Departure Hub Dating Project - Need everyone's help pre-1933

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
New Departure Ad from 1905 just because I thought it was COOL!!!!

:cool:

Look at the exaggerated hubs!!!!!

T2eC16VHJHEE9ny2rS4QBQPc4GFJwg60_57-1.jpg

I cross posted this on the Wheelmen website. Andrew Gorman replied:

Here is some information I dug up a couple of years ago:
I had a few minutes to troll through Google Books and found a few dates for the introduction and production of these hubs. Most of these dates came from magazine advertisements and some trade journal articles. Definitely not authoritative, but a start

Model A - Earliest mention 1906, still advertised in 1917

Model B - The mysterious Model B was a heavy duty hub for motorcycles and tandems

Model C - The "New Model C" was advertised in 1928

Model D - The "New Model D" was advertised in 1934. I have seen this date before the introduction of the model D.

Hopefully this quickly researched information will be some help, but I'm sure there was a lot of overlap as supplies of hubs on hand were used up, and/or sold as replacements. By the way, bicycles and accessories were constantly advertised in Boys Life, which are "full view" on Google Books.

Atherton coaster brake:
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?10420-Atherton-Coaster-Brake-dates&highlight=atherton

Gary, do you have the whole 1918 catalogue? I have a complete 1919

Mead cat. with a LOT of information in it.

New Departure Duplex, P.&F.Corbin. New Britain Conn.U.S.A.

New Departure Duplex, P.&F.Corbin. New Britain Conn.U.S.A. on brake arm which is different than the model 6 ads. This was on one of Blue's Racycles so I have added it to the list until an ad can be found.

T2eC16hE9s2fDwijBPwrDoSg60_57-1.jpg

Gary, do you have the whole 1918 catalogue? I have a complete 1919

Mead cat. with a LOT of information in it.

Yep, I have an entire 1918 catalog & posted the Corbin & ND brake pages. Can you check your 1919 catalog to see which ones were available in 1919. Pretty sure it will have the ND A, R, & M. Not sure what you will find on the Corbin's. Yes, I love the Mead catalogs as the sheer amount of information is great. Thanks. - Gary

1927-28 New Departure Improved Coaster Brake Catalogue - Shows ND Models A & C

Howie Cohen's "Everythings Bicycles" website has a 1927-28 New Departure Improved Coaster Brake Catalogue. From the website: "A 24 page well illustrated catalogue showing the improved Model C coaster Brake, the Model A Coaster Brake, front hubs, bells the cyclometer, trouser guards and steel balls. The condition is fair-good, the dimensions are 6 x 9 inches, photo #042-01.

• First date on ND Model C is 1927
  • New last date on ND Model A is 1928

http://www.proteanpaper.com/scart_r...eyall=&srkeywords=&srcateg=000000000000000254

Bill Smith just posted this on the Wheelmen site:

Dave,
Great post on hubs. I have searched through my Iver Johnson and Lovell Diamond catalogs with many of the early ones containing a lot of bicycle sundries. The 1903, the Lovell Diamond Bicycle Supplies Catalog shows the Model A the first time, calling it the 1903 Model. I was able to track the Model A through to 1926. In 1920, the Lovell Diamond catalog shows a Model C for the first time. I think this Model must have ran through 1933. In a 1934 Ward's Catalog, I found what they call the new Model D brake hub in nickel finish. They claimed it had 90% braking surface than the old model which apparently was the Model C. If you compare the Model C and D, it is very evident that the D has many more braking washers than the C, giving a much better braking ability. The 1936 Ward's Catalog now has the Model D in a chrome finish. After 1959, the Mattatuck brought out New Departure and lasted until the mid-sixties.

There are images on the Wheelmen site you might want to take a look at

http://www.thewheelmen.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5104

ND Model A - new first appearance 1903 Lovell Diamond Bicycle Supplies Catalog

Dave,
Great post on hubs. I have searched through my Iver Johnson and Lovell Diamond catalogs with many of the early ones containing a lot of bicycle sundries. The 1903, the Lovell Diamond Bicycle Supplies Catalog shows the Model A the first time, calling it the 1903 Model. I was able to track the Model A through to 1926. In 1920, the Lovell Diamond catalog shows a Model C for the first time. I think this Model must have ran through 1933. In a 1934 Ward's Catalog, I found what they call the new Model D brake hub in nickel finish. They claimed it had 90% braking surface than the old model which apparently was the Model C. If you compare the Model C and D, it is very evident that the D has many more braking washers than the C, giving a much better braking ability. The 1936 Ward's Catalog now has the Model D in a chrome finish. After 1959, the Mattatuck brought out New Departure and lasted until the mid-sixties.

Thanks pelletman!!!

I'll now show the ND Model A beginning 1903 with the the Lovell Diamond Bicycle Supplies Catalog as the data source and mention first called the 1903 Model.

ND Model C - new first appearance 1920 Lovell Diamond Bicycle Supplies Catalog

Dave,

Pelletman, Changing the ND Model C earliest to 1920 with data source as the 1920 Lovell Diamond Bicycle Supplies Catalog & more confirmation ended in 1933.

Great pic on the brake disc differences between the Models C & D.

Back