When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corbin & New Departure Hub Dating Project - Need everyone's help pre-1933

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I am finishing a 1901 Crescent number 31 and it came to me with a New Departure coaster hub on it's wooden rim. It's not marked A and there are no marks on the curved hubshell either but still fairly certain that's what it is. FWIW there is no grease port and there is a screw adjustment at the tip of the brakearm. At first I assumed it was a much later hub, then read this sticky and think perhaps it may be the original hub. I found a mention on a wheelemn thread of a 1900 Crescent catalog that offered a coaster brake option for $5. I have not seen the catalog so I can't 100% confirm. Is is possible that this particular ND hub is the correct hub when this bike was new?
bikes20006-1.jpg

noticed on my early tandem the rear is corbin/ departure what is the year? 1900? ill send photos if needed

Hello!
A while ago i bought this Model A Hub and i have an inner part who came with an chainless Bike (Dürkopp). But i dont think it belongs there ot if they were ever fixed onto German bikes al all. Actually i searched the Internet for an while but the only Bicycle i found with a chainless Model A Hub was a Pierce from USA ( if i remember the Name right). I noticed slingt differences between the two hubs. Does that help in Dating the Hub more exactly? Can i combine the hubshell with the chainless inner parts, or has the hubshell changed over the Years slightly too?
Best regards Jürgen

IMAG0272.JPG

IMAG0273.JPG

IMAG0275.JPG

Hello,

I'm collecting bikes from Peugeot (pre 1920). If you bought a Peugeot in these days you had the choice of different parts from a list in the catalogue as brakes, hubs etc. Peugeot always offered different hubs like the Peugeots hubs, Eadie, Torpedo (german) etc. and also New Departure.

I have three Peugeots with ND hubs. One is build 1902/3, another 1904 and the third around 1916. The older ones have Model A hubs with the first inscription on the brake lever and no oiler port (see picture).
The younger bike has a early Model C(?) build in. It's a bit different to the usual (younger) Model C hubs f.e. the brake lever. But see the pictures.

Here in Europe you cannot find parts for ND so I must import them from the States. For the Model C I ordered new brake disks and a new clutch spring.

Hope that helps a bit to date these nice hubs.

Thomas

New Departure 1902/03
Peugeot 1903-12.jpg
Peugeot 1903-14.jpg

New Departure 1916
NewDeparture-C-3.JPG
NewDeparture-C-7.JPG
NewDeparture-C-8.JPG

A little correction: The younger bike should be dated 1916-1918. During this period the frame numbers for Peugeot bikes are not so clear as in other times because of the 1. world war. So the ND hub could be made 1918 as well.

Last edited:
Back