When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corbin & New Departure Hub Dating Project - Need everyone's help pre-1933

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi, I have a hub to show that is internaly very much the same as the New departure A hub but is also different
in some parts.
The brake arm is not original It was lost in the years so I made a new one .I do think the way of mounting is correct. The pins that come out of the
brake part are about 6,5 mm long so longer than the ones from the A hube and the nickel plated end cap (next to the shell) has no tooth for a model A brake arm.

001.JPG

The brake hub is part of a Dutch (like me) Fongers bicycle that was delivered first time on 6 july 1903 to Miss H.M.Dane living in Rotterdam.
However it is not sure the hub was in this bicycle from the start. The spokes are a bit to short and that is not factory like to do that with there new
and expensive products. All parts are marked F4 in as the photo below shows

Als strange is the shape of the shell.Not the round lines of the A hub but more the straight form of it`s predecessors.

If any one can tell what this for kind of hub is and/ ore have seen the small F4 ore similar number on other hubs,it would be good to read about.

Best regards,
Maarten

002 (1280x853).jpg

I have a ND WL front hub and ND Model C rear hub. I'm trying to pinpoint year of mfg. Pretty sure it's a Elgin. According to the previous post the earliest year for the Model C is 1920, but I can't find anything on the WL front hub. Any help would be appreciated.
Pete

I am finishing a 1901 Crescent number 31 and it came to me with a New Departure coaster hub on it's wooden rim. It's not marked A and there are no marks on the curved hubshell either but still fairly certain that's what it is. FWIW there is no grease port and there is a screw adjustment at the tip of the brakearm. At first I assumed it was a much later hub, then read this sticky and think perhaps it may be the original hub. I found a mention on a wheelemn thread of a 1900 Crescent catalog that offered a coaster brake option for $5. I have not seen the catalog so I can't 100% confirm. Is is possible that this particular ND hub is the correct hub when this bike was new?
bikes20006-1.jpg
I have this same hub on a 1899 During. It is the original one as far as I know.

Great!.
So now the second survivor of this type is shown here.
Very welcome to see the real brake arm with its inscriptions.

I have a 1929 Westfield with a Model C rear hub which is period correct. The wheels were changed out in 1944 to 26" pneumatic. They were originally 28", so the spokes and all were changed. I noticed the brake arm was a Model D. I searched through Russell's barn today and I found a can of parts. There were 11 1/2" spokes with nipples, a skip tooth rear axle and sprocket (no housing), a old pedal and some other miscellaneous parts. There was a brake arm that only says New Departure and below the New Departure it says "Brake". There is no model on it. Would that have been the original arm from the Model C?

Back