When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corbin & New Departure Hub Dating Project - Need everyone's help pre-1933

-
New Departure solid bar hourglass "M" Front that came with the Model D w/o oiler. (late 32/early 33 1st version D?) The bike the wheelset came on is a late 1933 Colson Motorbike. Early nickeled clincher 26" Lobdel's were laced to these hubs w/14/16 gage spokes. These 26" Lobdel rims were started up around late1933 through the mid-30's. Most examples were early 30's bikes that I've seen.
IMG_1930.JPG

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1949.JPG

Last edited:
A big thank you, shout out to Ed "Catfish" Popowitz for helping me get these two hubs mated up.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
These are labeled as Deluxe model D and Deluxe model WD.
I had only seen one other large flange New Departure hub before, and it was marked General Motors Corporation.
I had never heard of a Deluxe model D or WD hubset before.
Has anyone seen any literature on this hubset before?
I haven't explored the possibility of the front brake or two speed kits yet, but I suspect that they are both compatible.

A big thank you, shout out to Ed "Catfish" Popowitz for helping me get these two hubs mated up.
View attachment 801069 View attachment 801068 These are labeled as Deluxe model D and Deluxe model WD.
I had only seen one other large flange New Departure hub before, and it was marked General Motors Corporation.
I haven't explored the possibility of the front brake or two speed kits yet, but I suspect that they are both compatible.
:eek::eek::eek:
@rustjunkie

View attachment 801069 View attachment 801068 These are labeled as Deluxe model D and Deluxe model WD.

Great find! The first one I ever saw (and only one I ever got) was on a ~1940 Schwinn Ranger at Memory Lane in the last 1990s, it was a DeLuxe WD. The bike was a a roller w/o any sheet metal.
Located a DeLuxe D with help from some friends and put the set on the Alexander Rocket. Never have seen another until now.

full?d=1453332056.jpg

Pre 33’ nickel plated New Departure Model B.M.

Side by side with a later chrome plated ND S.M. they are nearly identical in construction save for the oil port & slide cover.

4989dc1c7a4a955f968264d7e0fd0378.jpg

4e4c3aca7a5b9c01854cc3e2165f1177.jpg

7dd884b068c07314de290fae66190e1f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back