When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronavirus effect on bike hobby?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
My son dropped by today. He is a Superintendent for a fiber optic co or something. I should know this stuff but they have been deemed one of those companies that is a necessity.

They have a contract with Cox for some work, but Cox is overwhelmed so they are giving access to their software and grid to help them. They were asking for volunteers to work 7 days a week will also have some mandatory weekends.

Apparently some little box (someone here may know I cant recall) per area usually carry's about 2500 homes. They are getting the traffic as if 5k homes as many are now working from home or online all day. He said when it jumps they have to get a crew out and tie in a new fiber optic line to a "doghouse". I guess like a substation and pull new cable to that little box to increase bandwidth. He also said they gave them special ID's showing they are required business that can't be shut down or told not to work, even if local government has something in place.

Yesterday I sold the two bikes that I had listed on CL. I didn't shake hands at the close of the deal like I usually do and the small talk was kept to a minimum. Took the money in one hand and stashed it while using my other hand to open the doors etc. Paranoid? maybe so, maybe no. Not gonna list the other ones I wanna sell right now.
[/QU

I think it might effect bike sales some only because people don’t want to go out. Their going out only to try and find toilet paper To buy.
Yeah I sod a bike last Friday I didn’t offer to shake hands .

The 11th Annual Midwest Bicycle Swap scheduled for April 19th has been canceled due to the Coronavirus. It was stated that it could be rescheduled at a later date.

Sent using Tapatalk

Words I thought I would never utter... I have a case of Corona.....
ALN1075_BEER_CIDER_UPDATE_PD_388x314_3.jpg

....and if I drink it I will surely die....:tongueclosed: Beer store was wiped out. Slim pickins.

Last edited:
Well... they will be shutting down all LA County including LBC and Pasadena via press conference. Starts tonight at midnight.
Essential stores and services only. Pick up or delivery for restaurants. Online deliveries should still be going.

seems like it’s hits anyone and age.
enough joking about this.
Hope we all get through this.

Bikes/parts will be there to collect and trade later.
Hoping for a short closure of LA and quick containment of this.

Last edited:
This going to be interesting. Lots of people in LA county. We will see who understands the situation and who choose to be selfish. No promise of when the coast is clear.
We should all hope for the best! Stay healthy.

I've logged a few miles of levity on this topic, maybe more here than any other non bicycle topic. I am acutely aware of the gravity of the situation and in no way want to trivialize or minimize the impact that this virus may have had on any members here.

For the first time today, I got the jitters. My county and all that surround are involved. I am not posting my comic relief from the safety of my man cave between FaceTime conferences with my boss. Tomorrow at 6 a.m. I will make my hour commute to another state where I will not be on the front line but more like a mine field of possibilities.

I am a nurse working in a long term care geriatric unit. And as of the last day I was there, Wednesday, all tests were negative. But who the hell knows what I will be walking into tomorrow? 25% of the patients I care for have active respiratory infection. Two tested negative. What about the others?

Some are no more aware of what's going on with the outside world than they are of the potential consequences of coughing in my face as I provide for their care.

Some nurses may remain stoic throughout their careers, I pity them. For others, survival is sense of humor, which tends to intensify, perhaps forged from the cynicism that builds up from working in this joke of a health care system and a work environment that chews people up and then spits them out, only to then take on new naive meat that can't even give an insulin injection.

The saying "if you don't laugh, you'll cry" very much applies here for me. I don't care so much about myself, but there are three other members in the household, one vulnerable with disability. If I brought that $hit home I would want to die because I would never forgive myself.

So yeah, I get it. The gravity looms large. But tomorrow I'm back in germ city, lunch packed with a generous serving of humor. I have a license for that.

I part with a scene from my "office".

Stay safe boys and girls.

I've logged a few miles of levity on this topic, maybe more here than any other non bicycle topic. I am acutely aware of the gravity of the situation and in no way want to trivialize or minimize the impact that this virus may have had on any members here.

For the first time today, I got the jitters. My county and all that surround are involved. I am not posting my comic relief from the safety of my man cave between FaceTime conferences with my boss. Tomorrow at 6 a.m. I will make my hour commute to another state where I will not be on the front line but more like a mine field of possibilities.

I am a nurse working in a long term care geriatric unit. And as of the last day I was there, Wednesday, all tests were negative. But who the hell knows what I will be walking into tomorrow? 25% of the patients I care for have active respiratory infection. Two tested negative. What about the others?

Some are no more aware of what's going on with the outside world than they are of the potential consequences of coughing in my face as I provide for their care.

Some nurses may remain stoic throughout their careers, I pity them. For others, survival is sense of humor, which tends to intensify, perhaps forged from the cynicism that builds up from working in this joke of a health care system and a work environment that chews people up and then spits them out, only to then take on new naive meat that can't even give an insulin injection.

The saying "if you don't laugh, you'll cry" very much applies here for me. I don't care so much about myself, but there are three other members in the household, one vulnerable with disability. If I brought that $hit home I would want to die because I would never forgive myself.

So yeah, I get it. The gravity looms large. But tomorrow I'm back in germ city, lunch packed with a generous serving of humor. I have a license for that.

I part with a scene from my "office".View attachment 1158537
Stay safe boys and girls.

Glove up, mask up, take precautions, stay safe. Those in your care are counting on you as are your family.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back