When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronavirus effect on bike hobby?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
We're using this time wisely... I guess.

My son is coming by today to borrow a shotgun and a 9mm pistol. Other than a .22 rifle, all he has is a 44 magnum revolver. Not great for home defense. He's made out quite good in his career, and he lives in a place they call "Money Hill." Naturally we're afraid of the crime rate spiking because of unemployment, etc.

I'm spending the "shut-in" time working on my shop, painting the ceiling, and I have all brand-new light fixtures to mount. Cleaning, dusting, repainting, etc. Spring is here!

We're using this time wisely... I guess.

My son is coming by today to borrow a shotgun and a 9mm pistol. Other than a .22 rifle, all he has is a 44 magnum revolver. Not great for home defense. He's made out quite good in his career, and he lives in a place they call "Money Hill." Naturally we're afraid of the crime rate spiking because of unemployment, etc.

I'm spending the "shut-in" time working on my shop, painting the ceiling, and I have all brand-new light fixtures to mount. Cleaning, dusting, repainting, etc. Spring is here!
Exactly why my son stopped by the other day. He has a house in a decent area, but across freeway is an older area. I had an ex- police officer give me a sawed off a long time ago. He said it's best for a home, no chance of going through wall to hit kids and you wont miss. They are illegal even in Az, but yep a shotgun is your friend in home. I have since gave it to a collector friend.

On a lighter note, my wife and I go to Harkins to buy large popcorn on occasion when we don't want to actually sit at the movies. To our surprise we went by yesterday and although they were closed, they were popping it fresh and bringing it out. First TP......here comes the popcorn shortage :D
IMG_20200320_165102_109.jpg

IMG_20200320_165102_110.jpg

Well if this Coronavirus continues through the end of March with the Washington Governor Inslee getting his way I don't see a SKIDKING Vintage Bicycle Club ride happening at least in the first part of April. I was going to host one on April 5th , but with all bars /restaurants being shut down until further notice the only other option would be a virtual ride? Hmmm maybe ...So yes this Coronavirus is effecting us all..

I don't think much really big picture. If anything, nostalgia will be the "next thing" as people re-evaluate their lives in general and take a much-needed step back, maybe cut back on unnecessary spending. Riding around on or fiddling with these collectable bicycles should really be increasing. Packing along some food & a good tool kit on a longer ride and stopping in nice spots during breaks is fun and good exercise! :D WBDYRT?

Last edited:
The country really doesn't need people grabbing their guns right now. Calm down and focus on staying healthy. Plenty of bike projects to work on if that helps......
Take a ride and relax!
I know there are gun nuts but for most its not about grabbing guns. The discussion was home protection and your kids. We all come from different backgrounds but being prepared can save your life or your family's. Who would have thought we would have a run on househild items and groceries? If things got progressively worse, which happens fast, and items became scarce, the next step would quite possibly be crime and taking from others.

And I personally am not a big advocate of guns as I have a fair amount of experience with them, unlike many cowboys that look forward to someone breaking in or being a hero. But being prepared, even a little on the side of caution, has served me well.

I have three projects for this weekend. Two are for my granddaughters.

I've logged a few miles of levity on this topic, maybe more here than any other non bicycle topic. I am acutely aware of the gravity of the situation and in no way want to trivialize or minimize the impact that this virus may have had on any members here.

For the first time today, I got the jitters. My county and all that surround are involved. I am not posting my comic relief from the safety of my man cave between FaceTime conferences with my boss. Tomorrow at 6 a.m. I will make my hour commute to another state where I will not be on the front line but more like a mine field of possibilities.

I am a nurse working in a long term care geriatric unit. And as of the last day I was there, Wednesday, all tests were negative. But who the hell knows what I will be walking into tomorrow? 25% of the patients I care for have active respiratory infection. Two tested negative. What about the others?

Some are no more aware of what's going on with the outside world than they are of the potential consequences of coughing in my face as I provide for their care.

Some nurses may remain stoic throughout their careers, I pity them. For others, survival is sense of humor, which tends to intensify, perhaps forged from the cynicism that builds up from working in this joke of a health care system and a work environment that chews people up and then spits them out, only to then take on new naive meat that can't even give an insulin injection.

The saying "if you don't laugh, you'll cry" very much applies here for me. I don't care so much about myself, but there are three other members in the household, one vulnerable with disability. If I brought that $hit home I would want to die because I would never forgive myself.

So yeah, I get it. The gravity looms large. But tomorrow I'm back in germ city, lunch packed with a generous serving of humor. I have a license for that.

I part with a scene from my "office".View attachment 1158537
Stay safe boys and girls.
Single Malt sense of humor?

I know there are gun nuts but for most its not about grabbing guns. The discussion was home protection and your kids. We all come from different backgrounds but being prepared can save your life or your family's. Who would have thought we would have a run on househild items and groceries? If things got progressively worse, which happens fast, and items became scarce, the next step would quite possibly be crime and taking from others.

And I personally am not a big advocate of guns as I have a fair amount of experience with them, unlike many cowboys that look forward to someone breaking in or being a hero. But being prepared, even a little on the side of caution, has served me well.

I have three projects for this weekend. Two are for my granddaughters.
The discussion was originally about the effect of the Coronavirus on the bike hobby. Maybe I have been following the wrong thread. You can't shoot a virus. If perceived hoarding by people who live in older neighborhoods across the freeway is the fear and a potential danger than most of America is in jeopardy. I suggest we all go to CABE forums for a bit and just absorb some useful info. That conference that airs every morning is not helping it seems. Politicians need to go for a bike ride. If they still have the balance required!

Back