When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct finish for Weinmann brake levers - gloss or semigloss?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cbustapeck

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Tomorrow, I'm picking up a Jaguar Mark IV, and I'm excited to start detailing it as soon as I can. That said, I don't want to make it into something that it never was.

When new, were the Weinmann aluminum parts highly polished, or did they have a slightly dull look? I know it's possible to get them to an amazing finish, but I also know that, of the few NOS pieces I've seen, it's not quite that bright of a polish. Of course, it's quite likely that even NOS parts have oxidized some, so I don't see that as being definitive. If the bike is as amazing and original as it looks in the photographs, it deserves to be treated properly.

I understand that this may be being a bit pedantic, but hey, I'm the librarian - I have to research the matter to death.

The finish was just a clean aluminum with a nice shine. Only good example I have is my 56-58 NOS Mayweg carrier.

i think your question is a fantastic one and one that I've wondered about over the years. That said, and with myriad options, I have been keen to use Blue Magic metal polish on most aluminum parts like the Weinmann brakes/levers you mentioned. I don't bring out a polisher/buffer but i do get it as nice as I can by hand with a microfiber towel and "elbow grease". Post a pic of the bike when you get it.
Jay

Thank you all for those insights. I will definitely be posting pictures - this is a bike that I've always wanted but always thought would be out of reach - and I am thrilled, if everything works out tomorrow, to be custodian to it for a little while.

i think your question is a fantastic one and one that I've wondered about over the years. That said, and with myriad options, I have been keen to use Blue Magic metal polish on most aluminum parts like the Weinmann brakes/levers you mentioned. I don't bring out a polisher/buffer but i do get it as nice as I can by hand with a microfiber towel and "elbow grease". Post a pic of the bike when you get it.
Jay
DCCA83C8-F890-4FF5-8F56-220E594B35BA.jpeg

Back