When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct hand grips for 1953 JC Higgins Colorflow?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cbustapeck

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Total newbie on this forum, but not a stranger to vintage bicycles. Stranger to actually working on them competently, though.

I've just paid for a 1953 JC Higgins Colorflow (women's) in light and dark blue that appears to be all original, save for the hand grips, tires, jewels, and headlight.

I've done a good bit of looking into which parts are and are not correct, and I've got one question:
What are the correct hand grips for a 1953 Colorflow? In the pictures I have seen here and there, it's really hard to tell, except that they are definitely not all the same. I appreciate any answers on this matter. Thank you!

Total newbie on this forum, but not a stranger to vintage bicycles. Stranger to actually working on them competently, though.

I've just paid for a 1953 JC Higgins Colorflow (women's) in light and dark blue that appears to be all original, save for the hand grips, tires, jewels, and headlight.

I've done a good bit of looking into which parts are and are not correct, and I've got one question:
What are the correct hand grips for a 1953 Colorflow? In the pictures I have seen here and there, it's really hard to tell, except that they are definitely not all the same. I appreciate any answers on this matter. Thank you!
This might be a good question to post in the General section. Lots of viewers there.

The 1948-49 Color-Flow had blue metal flake grips.

wS89FMe.jpg

wGAXENH.jpg

I always thought glitter or metalflake grips came out in the mid-sixties. I hung out at the Schwinn Dealer quite a bit when I was a kid and the glitter grips were a Dealers item at that time.

I was told the grips were original to the bike but after your comment & searching for info, glitter/sparkle flakes were invented in 1934 and first used in car paint in 1959. I’m guessing that’s when it became popular so you’re probably correct.

Back