When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct Hubs For Racycle Pacemaker 1898/99

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Just Wondering,,Isn't the Sprocket Different for Pre-1900 Racycles!!!
However, the hub set should be Thor,
There is a notch in the fork eye ( Sorry thats The german expression) The part where the axle goes through)
Do the thor hubs have something on the cones which fits in the notch.
My hubs don't have it that's the reason I don't trust the hubs

Not that I'm aware of.... I just know that the Thor hubs were the early option for Racycles.... It took me quite some time to find the rear "racing" hub, I'm looking for a matching front, I have two wood rims, I recall reading somewhere that the front was 32 spoke.... That would be ideal, I have an original Lobdell rim.

Kind of guessing European market Racycles in the day MAY have had parts that were not used in their American counterparts. Though, you sound like you have researched your bike quite well. Here in a link to the literature of the day in America as an FYI. Wish it was mine. There are not many of us here in Europe who collect American TOC bikes. Is there German literature available for research. Google translate fixes most issues with it not being in English.

https://archive.org/details/smithsonian?and[]=subject:"cycling"

Sorry for my late answer I have to apologise as I had no free time to care about bicycles
filmonger
thanks for the compliments and the link
I bought the bike about 20 years ago in the US so it is no European market version . I never heared that racycles were sold in Germanyan although I have a lot of German literature. But a variation of the bottombracket became about 1898 very popular for most of the german bicycles . The so called Gockenlager what means bell shaped cover bearing.
wcben thanks for tip with the Tor Hubs but i would like to be sure if they were used too in 1898.

1900 the Cycling Age
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 18.24.34.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 18.10.01.png

filmonger
Thanks for the advestisings
Does everybody knows a collector named Fred Fisk ?
When I remeber correctly there was a lot of years ago an article about a comparable racycle
same colour, same pinstriping.

Here is what was on offer in 1898 ( from the Sporting Life 1898 ) - see Pacemaker.... No Hubs specified here

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 21.49.42.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 21.49.30.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 21.49.16.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 21.48.53.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 21.48.23.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 21.48.12.png

Pulled...to make it easier to see

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 21.56.02.png

Hello Filmonger
extremely interesting news
To begin with the 2ndt post: I never heard from german racycles Although collecting more than 30 years I wil ask a friend of mine who did the best head badge and brand resarch with several thousand headbadges produced in Germany
Do you know the date of this article?
Althouhgh I had little time to look deeper i found The surprising news that in 1904 ,31 german bicycle makers produced crank hangers under license of the Miami Cycle MFG. This are the the "Glockenlager" I mentioned in my older posting. They are a bit different from the from the racycles

Back