When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct Lacing

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

marching_out

Finally riding a big boys bike
Is this laced correct? The reason I ask is I am planning on re-lacing this hub into an S2. Never have laced a wheel so I'm doing as much up front planning as I can before I attempt. This looks strange to me but admittedly haven't spent this much time studying a wheel.
IMG_5753.JPG

IMG_5751.JPG

Reactions: ian
Is this laced correct? The reason I ask is I am planning on re-lacing this hub into an S2. Never have laced a wheel so I'm doing as much up front planning as I can before I attempt. This looks strange to me but admittedly haven't spent this much time studying a wheel.
View attachment 1480486
View attachment 1480487
It doesn't look right to me, but I'm no expert. Maybe the spokes are too long? I'm sure someone will chime in on this question.

Its Schwinn style lacing with no under cross. It is laced so the valve hole is in the wrong spot.

Looks like maybe only those spokes on the near side, in the 2nd picture would have to be re-done, (except for interfering)?

When lacing is done double-wrong, (with both of the spokes, on adjacent sides of the valve, crossing over the valve), then all of spokes should be re-done.
The (valve stem) hole should be one spoke over.
Actually, half of the spokes should be two rim (and/or hub) holes over; (if one was not already re-lacing to another rim).

If never done before, perhaps start with the 4 spokes nearest the valve, and then work from there.

Last edited:
Photos seem to indicate also that the spokes themselves are the incorrect gauge for the hub? No doubt it needs to be disassembled and re-laced with the fatter spokes that fill in the flange spoke hole openings on the hub.

Yes, it looks like the spoke heads are recessed way down in the hub flange, and it looks like the spokes themselves are small in the eyelets. I wonder if it might need even heavier gauge spokes (?), just looking at the photos posted.

SORRY TO SAY, IT LOOKS DREADFUL!
ASIDE FROM THE HUB HOLES BEING FOR HEAVIER GUAGE,
JUST LAY A FACTORY BUILT WHEEL NEXT TO YOU AND START OVER
THE RESPOKING FROM SCRATCH.

On second look, are the spoke holes in the flanges countersunk? That might explain why they look a little strange.

On second look, are the spoke holes in the flanges countersunk? That might explain why they look a little strange.

It sure looks like to me! This is a really odd wheel set. More on the f up side of things. Is that flange really thick?

1632033944561.png

Back