When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct Lacing

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
More info...outside is counter sunk, inside is not. 0.105 spoke diameter.
BF8C0928-532D-43EB-96EC-7FAE7ABB045B.jpeg

A6B14484-990C-46CD-8719-F66238BDBF3C.jpeg

380D5928-F498-4EB0-BC54-1B42B86E57EA.jpeg

E693110E-63E0-41D8-9262-A974CE56D662.jpeg

Interesting that it is countersunk on one side of the flange but not the other. Some spokes have the J-bend fully used and some without it being used all that much. But with the heavy duty spokes, I would not worry too much about that.

If your new rim is the same effective rim diameter as the old, it should be fairly straightforward re-lace. If the new rim is different, it might still be OK to re-use the spokes if it's within a mm or two of the old rim. You'll need new spokes if the two rims differ much more.

Before taking the wheel apart, verify the number of spokes and the cross pattern used. Measure a couple of the spokes once it's apart and write down the number of spokes, cross pattern, and spoke lengths (some wheels require this due to cross patterns and hub flange sizes). Also write down the model hub being used and the rim type. That way if you ever have to replace parts, or re-lace again, you'll know what materials are in that wheel and what you need to repair it.

Last edited:
Finally getting around to lacing in this drum brake into the S2 rim. Watched several videos then said screw it and just started. I scrapped all the videos and just copied the pattern off another bike until it looked right. I probably screwed and unscrewed 100 spokes. Appreciate comments on if it looks correct.

Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 10.04.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 10.03.55 PM.png

Finally getting around to lacing in this drum brake into the S2 rim. Watched several videos then said screw it and just started. I scrapped all the videos and just copied the pattern off another bike until it looked right. I probably screwed and unscrewed 100 spokes. Appreciate comments on if it looks correct.

View attachment 1591735
View attachment 1591736
I believe you have done a great job correctly lacing that wheel. Have you trued it yet? So long as the spoke threads aren't protruding through the nipples, you should be golden. Very satisfying when done. Although the sore fingertips are annoying...lol

Take the bull by the horns! Way to go! Looks good to me except it appears it is a cross 3 pattern instead of cross 4? Im currently doing a set of wheels too. On mine, I laced it cross 3 as well kind of by accident. Doh! However, it looks good to me. A few spokes protrude past the nipple and will be ground down.

View attachment 1591735
View attachment 1591736
Yup, you got the valve stem hole right! 3 cross is right for those spokes, 4 cross requires longer.

I believe you have done a great job correctly lacing that wheel. Have you trued it yet? So long as the spoke threads aren't protruding through the nipples, you should be golden. Very satisfying when done. Although the sore fingertips are annoying...lol
Thanks for all the feedback. I have not trued it yet, possibly today. All the spokes are still showing 1 to 2mm at the top of the nipple and I haven't started tightening yet. I'll post some more picts when I get it finished.

Back