When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct saddle for a 1950 phantom?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ericbaker

Finally riding a big boys bike
Picked up a real nice original paint black phantom this weekend...i mean real nice. But the seat is a repop and it's is missing the non-drive side pedal.

The serial number puts it at a December 1949 manufacture date so I'd say 1950 model. What saddle would this bike have come with? Were some of the earlier ones different?

And does anyone happen to have a schwinn AS deluxe pedal for me?

I have an original saddle and foam cushion, no cover...runs 165.oo from Chuck at the saddle shop if memory serves.
Finding an original is decent shape will be a challenge and expensive if so.
I also have a single pedal, but not sure which side.
Reach out to me in a couple of days after you consider your options.
Thanks, Chris

Early Phantom saddles did not have the rivets on the side and I think the nose was a little bit different. I have one or two but they have both been restored.

the 1949 phantoms had the "messinger deluxe b1" seat. this is the skinny tan leather seat with wear tabs, as opposed to the larger ones.

Scrubbin if you are interested in selling that single pedal I very well may be interested, I need the non-drive but maybe I could swap a spindle or something if it is the wrong side, as long as the chrome is good, i can get blocks from memory lane to match the almost unused original.

And Smitty if you have a pic of the saddle(s) you have available I'd like to see them, I'd rather have a correct restored original than an incorrect repro. Esp since it may be super hard to find an original in nice enough shape to match the rest of the bike

I'll post a nice picture set of this amazing OG paint bike as soon as I can get some decent light but heres a teaser for now...

IMG_0138.gif

Thanks for the info guys,

Okay Eric, I'll verify what I have.
I think I see someone in the reflection of the front fender handing over 2000.00 for this special bike...am I correct?

I think it is original, but I attained it by itself and not from a bike so I am confident, although not 100%.
Disclaimer: I am not a Schwinn guy (I only have 5).
As you can see, it is the non-drive side and chrome is good, endcaps as depicted.
If interested shoot me a PM and we'll take it from there.
Thanks, Chris
pedal close.jpg
pedal.jpg

pedal looks pretty good! pm comming

Okay Eric, I'll verify what I have.
I think I see someone in the reflection of the front fender handing over 2000.00 for this special bike...am I correct?

haha, i saw that in the pic after I posted it but that tag is hanging on some fancy carbon road bike at the shop where its being stored for now, although the price does sound about right doesnt it! :p

Back