When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct spokes for a 1972 Schwinn Paramount?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

eyefrommn

Look Ma, No Hands!
I was wondering if anyone could chime in on the correct spokes for a stock 1972 Schwinn Paramount racing model. I believe they used Union. I'm not sure if stainless or chrome plated, butted or non-butted, 15g or 14g and if they had a "for Schwinn" clover leaf spoke head stamp. Any insight would be appreciated.

I was wondering if anyone could chime in on the correct spokes for a stock 1972 Schwinn Paramount racing model. I believe they used Union. I'm not sure if stainless or chrome plated, butted or non-butted, 15g or 14g and if they had a "for Schwinn" clover leaf spoke head stamp. Any insight would be appreciated.
I've never heard that the Union clover leaf logo was for Schwinn? Wonder why if they needed a special logo why not an "S"? Union had the clover leaf logo, and also the "U" logo. They would have been 14/15 double butted spokes. 14ga on each end, then swedged down to 15ga in the middle. They would have been chrome plated originally.

DT or Wheelsmith stainless is what we used to build "pro wheels" in our shop. We used Union for normal everyday wheels. The only Union Chromed spokes we used was the .080/.092 Paramount Tandem heavy-duty spokes. They were good quality spokes, but somewhat limited because they only came in one length. Your spoke length would be dependent on the rim style (700C clinchers/700C sew ups), the type spoke holes in the rim's ferrules/washers, high flange or possibly low flange hubs if not original, and obviously the 3X or 4X spoke cross. Many variables.

You need to measure the rim spoke diameter, the hub diameter, number of spoke holes, enter your desired spoke cross, and enter your numbers into a spoke length calculator. I would not use the original spoke lengths.

John

Sorry I can not help you with specs for that bike, but If you figure out what you need I might have the spokes you seek.

I'm not sure if stainless or chrome plated, butted or non-butted, 15g or 14g and if they had a "for Schwinn" clover leaf spoke head stamp. Any insight would be appreciated

Not sure but screenshot from spokehead identification website.
Screenshot_20230301_204148_Chrome.jpg

I've never heard that the Union clover leaf logo was for Schwinn? Wonder why if they needed a special logo why not an "S"? Union had the clover leaf logo, and also the "U" logo. They would have been 14/15 double butted spokes. 14ga on each end, then swedged down to 15ga in the middle. They would have been chrome plated originally.

DT or Wheelsmith stainless is what we used to build "pro wheels" in our shop. We used Union for normal everyday wheels. The only Union Chromed spokes we used was the .080/.092 Paramount Tandem heavy-duty spokes. They were good quality spokes, but somewhat limited because they only came in one length. Your spoke length would be dependent on the rim style (700C clinchers/700C sew ups), the type spoke holes in the rim's ferrules/washers, high flange or possibly low flange hubs if not original, and obviously the 3X or 4X spoke cross. Many variables.

You need to measure the rim spoke diameter, the hub diameter, number of spoke holes, enter your desired spoke cross, and enter your numbers into a spoke length calculator. I would not use the original spoke lengths.

John
Thanks. I am an experienced builder and have a Morizumi spoke cutter/roller so I can do 14 or 15g. I also have good stock of period NOS Union spokes; 14 and 15g butted and non-butted, plated and non plated. I will be doing the measurements myself as I always do, so I'm good with all that. I was just wondering if anyone knew what Schwinn spec'd on the built Paramount bicycles. I'm leaning toward 14g or 15 g butted/plated but am uncertain what Schwinn used.

Wow, I got Spoke head!

So the answer is there's at least three other companies making spokes with the "S" head logo, and at least two or three other companies using the Clover Leaf head logo. It sounds like Union, or Union-Berg used the clover leaf, and also a couple different styles of "U" logos. I do not think the clover leaf logo was for Schwinn only is my take after reading this document.

Thanks, J Wagon interesting stuff.

John

Thanks. I am an experienced builder and have a Morizumi spoke cutter/roller so I can do 14 or 15g. I also have good stock of period NOS Union spokes; 14 and 15g butted and non-butted, plated and non plated. I will be doing the measurements myself as I always do, so I'm good with all that. I was just wondering if anyone knew what Schwinn spec'd on the built Paramount bicycles. I'm leaning toward 14g or 15 g butted/plated but am uncertain what Schwinn used.
Sounds good. Great if you can cut and thread.

We used a Wheelsmith machine in our old shop. I would be concerned about rolling threads on a chrome plated spoke. There's nothing wrong with a galvanized or zinc plated spoke, but they do not give you the "wow factor" that you got with an original chrome plated spoke as was originally used on a Paramount. I would check out if you have a rolling/threading issue or not first. A stainless spoke would be a good choice for the "wow factor" if you don't need to have the Union, or the Union-Berg logo's for authenticity.

John

Back