When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct spokes for a 1972 Schwinn Paramount?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This might be useless, it has the part number but that may not give you the details.

View attachment 1796627
GT, That's what was shown in the book, but it's kinda generic information.

The 12 1/16", cross 4, 36 hole length would be correct to build a 27" sized wheel as would have been original on a Paramount touring model. But he asked for the spokes that would have been used on the Paramount P13 racing model which was a smaller 700c wheel diameter.

He will be fine since he knows about measuring the rim diameter and using a spoke length calculator.

John

I was lucky enough to find some NOS Schwinn spokes at my local bike shop when I was lacing wheels for one of my Paramounts. They are double butted 12 1/8th inches I used a 4 cross pattern with Campagnolo hubs.

BC71B663-5986-454E-9738-DECE1274A3BF.jpeg

AD74FC60-1DB4-46D7-886D-D17B864452CA.jpeg

Thanks for all of your responses. Lots of helpful info. I think chrome plated, butted 14/15/14 Union spokes (clover leaf head) are the best option for my P-13. I still am not certain if that is exactly what Schwinn used, but closest I've come to being accurate. I'm still looking for more Schwinn catalog lengths/info/part numbers for 700c/27" spokes. I always measure the numbers anyway and have built a lot of these for Paramounts, I just wanted to see Schwinn's catalog info to cross reference. The goal is to get the Schwinn documented spoke lengths for 27" Weinmann clinchers and 700c "Schwinn Approved" sew up rims. Ideally, I'll get 3 and 4 cross numbers and If I get fancy, I'll also include numbers for low flange Campagnolo Record hubs in addition to the high flanged. Then I can make a chart and post it to the Cabers. So far, 12 1/8" for 4 Cross 27" Clinchers (Weinmann) is a lock. Schwinn three cross (may not be published) and four cross lengths for 700c tubulars with Campy high flange hubs would be a good start.

IMG_6956.JPG

Getting all of the Schwinn factory fraction lengths for different 60s/70s Paramount 3X and 4X builds has proven to be a little challenging. However, I've built Paramount wheels for many years and have decided to put my lengths and specs into these two pages. Hope it helps!

IMG_6961.JPG

IMG_6962.JPG

Back