When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct terminology

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

coasterbrakejunkie1969

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I have seen quite a few people use incorrect terms for parts on their bikes. In most cases there is a discussion about a certain part and it is pretty easy to understand what they are talking about.This is not rocket surgery! Often it is vital to use correct terms do to the variation of certain parts. Some members can not let it go and recently, there has been a new member who seems to think the degree he received in "Awesomness" is better then the ones others have received. The constantly berating everyone each time they use the wrong term could not be more annoying. There will never I repeat never be a time when everyone gets it right. If someone is asking questions and it is important they use the correct term so we can understand something they clearly do not ,that is a time to correct someone. If someone asks a question a bout something and uses the wrong term but provides a correct picture it often does not matter what they call it we know what it is and can answer the question. Helping other out is what is going to make this site continue to be a success and attract new members. Being an annoying chooch who has to show everyone how smart they are is just as annoying as calling a wheel a rim. IMO

Thats rocket science not rocket surgery... couldn’t resist, sorry.

but I do completely agree. There’s nothing worse than being belittled when all you want is a little help from those who know. There’s precious few manuals spelling out what the proper terms are so how else are newbies going to learn if they can’t asked.

Technically, I think that the actual surgery is tougher than the mere science.

42FF1107-6298-4446-AEBD-C434DA4B9A52.jpeg

I grew up around oldschool mechanics all my life and thats how I learned everything I learned and how to carry myself in most cases and I learned alot about other people in the process. Some of the most influential guys I worked near called things "doo-hickies" and "whatcha-ma-callits" and "that sumbi!ch" but could work circles around a guy who spent 4 years at a trade school for mechanics and they knew all the correct terms and used the book to the letter. Many times a car would have to be transferred from the big name shop down the street because the "pencil pushin nerds" couldnt diagnose it and had already cost the owner 2grand in unnecessary repairs and my dad figures it out just by ear and a rubber hose in 10 minutes and still have clean hands.
What Im trying to say is, words dont turn wheels, skill and talent does and where some people lack skill and talent, they make up the difference by trying to win small victories in breaking down the other persons credibility to make their own seem more "grand". Its a character flaw and a toxic one and to be frank, I ignore those people and live my life as I pedal my "thing-a-ma-bobber" on down the road.

Back