When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct terminology

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here’s a page from the 1949 Schwinn catalog that shows what terms Schwinns owners should use to identify the parts on their bicycles.

If you’re not a Schwinn owner then you can call it what ever. Personally, I’ve been using the term fender wrong my entire life.

"Page" 10!!! Is it a "page" as in a book? Who here has a "Smart Phone"? Is it smarter than you, or is it simply more convenient to fitting in to your distracted, easy button lifestyle? Perhaps "Dumb Phone" would be more accurate? What would George Orwell, if alive advise us regarding them? Can you imagine his re-write of 1984 with dumb phones? Who agrees to get chipped? Look in the mirror. Are newer bicycles built before March, 2022 before the Russian Invasion of Ukraine now "prewar" bicycles? Here is my "crank hanger"..👍
1647707329647.jpeg

I have seen quite a few people use incorrect terms for parts on their bikes. In most cases there is a discussion about a certain part and it is pretty easy to understand what they are talking about.This is not rocket surgery! Often it is vital to use correct terms do to the variation of certain parts. Some members can not let it go and recently, there has been a new member who seems to think the degree he received in "Awesomness" is better then the ones others have received. The constantly berating everyone each time they use the wrong term could not be more annoying. There will never I repeat never be a time when everyone gets it right. If someone is asking questions and it is important they use the correct term so we can understand something they clearly do not ,that is a time to correct someone. If someone asks a question a bout something and uses the wrong term but provides a correct picture it often does not matter what they call it we know what it is and can answer the question. Helping other out is what is going to make this site continue to be a success and attract new members. Being an annoying chooch who has to show everyone how smart they are is just as annoying as calling a wheel a rim. IMO
I agree. How about a something that people can refer to so they can identify what they have a question about. I recently started riding again and was mystified by the term "bottom bracket" After many searches I know what it refers to. I think.

Back