When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct toe straps

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I started out on clips and straps in the 70s, tried clipless in the 90s. Bad knees meant it was hard for me to get out of the clipless pedals so back to clips and straps without cleats, much safer and painless for me, without cleats my feet are allowed to float a bit, just what I need. To the best of my knowledge the Christophe clips were pretty much the only clip ever offered by Schwinn on the higher end bikes in the 70s and came as standard on Paramount and are called out in the spec sheets. I would assume they were most common down through the line and are called out on many Schwinn spec sheets from the 70s. The aluminum ones I have are not called out but I believe and assume they are original to this bike, they had the same accumulation of grime as everything else on the bike. Might have been a dealer install or even after, they are in nice condition albeit lightly scratched etc., so there is that.

Brian
Mid 70's Road and Track Paramounts used Christophe clips on Campy pedals. The "long length" Christophe clips were identified by the word SPECIAL stamped into the top of the clip. The aluminum version of the Christophe clips were a later period.

Lapize straps were was the standard. But as previously stated, Alfredo Binda were a very common upgrade during this time period. The special laminated Binda's were my choice for a strap.

John

Mid 70's Road and Track Paramounts used Christophe clips on Campy pedals. The "long length" Christophe clips were identified by the word SPECIAL stamped into the top of the clip. The aluminum version of the Christophe clips were a later period.

Lapize straps were was the standard. But as previously stated, Alfredo Binda were a very common upgrade during this time period. The special laminated Binda's were my choice for a strap.

John
I'm surprised re-reading this topic that no one has mentioned the "special end cut" the toe straps that came O.E. on Paramount's from the factory. I'm assuming (sticking my neck out again, LOL) that this modification was done at Schwinn?

Basically, the end of the leather strap was cut or notched with an arrow shape. Then back about one inch, they cut out a rectangle slot out of the middle of the strap. After the strap was assembled with the Campy pedal and Christophe clip, you stuck the arrowed end back over itself and inserted the end into the notched slot. Because the slot went lengthwise with the strap it held the end of the strap. The result was a very nice little leather knob was formed to help the rider with tightening. No need for the extra weight of adding a plastic screw-on end knob.

John

I'm surprised re-reading this topic that no one has mentioned the "special end cut" the toe straps that came O.E. on Paramount's from the factory. I'm assuming (sticking my neck out again, LOL) that this modification was done at Schwinn?

Basically, the end of the leather strap was cut or notched with an arrow shape. Then back about one inch, they cut out a rectangle slot out of the middle of the strap. After the strap was assembled with the Campy pedal and Christophe clip, you stuck the arrowed end back over itself and inserted the end into the notched slot. Because the slot went lengthwise with the strap it held the end of the strap. The result was a very nice little leather knob was formed to help the rider with tightening. No need for the extra weight of adding a plastic screw-on end knob.

John

-----

Thank you!

Paturaud brand toe straps of France exhibited this feature well before the time discussed.

-----

John

John
-----

Thank you!

Paturaud brand toe straps of France exhibited this feature well before the time discussed.

-----
I had never seen it before. They did it on my new 1963 Paramount track bike.

John

-----

e_bike_parts_for_sale_shop_12854__95581.1490743774.jpg

e_bike_parts_for_sale_shop_12857__38461.1490743774.jpg

-----

Last edited:
Back