When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct torpedo for a '58 Ladies Hornet?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Buster1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Does anyone have any shots or catalogs for a ladies 1958 Hornet? I am searching for the correct torpedo front fender light for it.

Thank you.

Geoff,

Thanks, but now I am confused. I was able to locate my 1958 Hornet catalog page...here it is.

1958_hornet-1.jpg

It's really tough to tell, but it appears to be a front-loader. Looks kinda like the larger pic on top of the ad.

I also looked thru the 1959 catalogs online and most of the ladies bikes had handlebar mounted lights, but the one that had a fender light was this.

1959_26-1.jpg

I need to spend some time looking back, but did they go back and forth, or use whatever was available when building the bikes perhaps? I assume my wife's '58 (built 9 Sept) was a '58, but could have been sold as a '59...but you never know. Lots of the '59s had handlebar mounted lights, yet her's has the factory holes for a fender light. I guess its not a big deal, but I thought it would be kinda fun to locate the correct light for her ride.

IMG_4143-1.jpg

No girl's Hornet in 1959. Correct light as shown in your B&W catalog page. The '59 and up bikes when they used lights on the fender tended to use lights with wings or angles to mimic the lines of autos of the day or suggest jet flight.
The front loaders were typically prewar, top loaders post war, and look quite similar to each other. You could also go with a Rocket Ray, which although not technically correct could have been a light a kid could have upgraded to.
Cheers, Geoff

Last edited:
If the Hornets SN is a September 58 stamping it was more than likely a 58 model. Here is half a light on a 57. Seems they might have been the torpedo and not a winged light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Schwin...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And some good shots of a 55 with the light that is like the one in your 58 catalog pic?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Schwin...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The old phrase everyone uses when their bike is not wearing the correct parts that it had when it was built seems to catch all, Schwinn just used what they had at the time. Schwinn was actually pretty precise on what parts they used on their bikes.

Last edited:
Back