When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corvette 5 speed freewheel removal

-

hatz4katz

Finally riding a big boys bike
Are there instructions posted that describe how to remove the freewheel / gear cluster on a '61 Corvette 5 speed? Is there anyone out there that would do it for me?
Thank you in advance for your replies.

I've never messed with this model but would imagine the splined freewheel tool for the particular freewheel and wrench would do the trick. The problem there is, there are a bazillion different freewheel removal tools. No clue where you are located but it's possible someone from the Cabe near you may have the tool needed and be willing to help.(If you are on the front range of Colorado, hit me up. I probably have the needed tool) Easy job with the right tool...

Park tools FR-4 should work
1557182759989.png

If it's the original Atom DON'T use the Park Tool. You will peel the lugs off of the freewheel in a heartbeat. The only way that I have found is to use a big #8 extractor. See pic. I had the end milled off to make it easier to get out of the freewheel. Chuck the extractor in a vice and drop the freewheel on it and turn the wheel. Spray the freewheel with penetrating fluid (I use Kroil) for as long as you can before trying.

042.JPG

If it's the original Atom DON'T use the Park Tool. You will peel the lugs off of the freewheel in a heartbeat. The only way that I have found is to use a big #8 extractor. See pic. I had the end milled off to make it easier to get out of the freewheel. Chuck the extractor in a vice and drop the freewheel on it and turn the wheel. Spray the freewheel with penetrating fluid (I use Kroil) for as long as you can before trying.

View attachment 992962

This ^^^^^^ is the only way I've ever had luck at removing ANY two notch Atom freewheels. I've used every two prong freewheel tool that can be had and ended up with this method. I had a thread with pictures on this very subject at the schwinnbikeforum for those that have access. I had to cut off the extractor because it would hit the dust cap and you couldn't get the tool in deep enough to grab onto the freewheel. @hatz4katz , If you don't want to mess with it, a good bike shop that knows vintage bikes should be able to help you out.

For those that have never seen an Atom 15-25 freewheel that Schwinn used on the early Varsity, Continental and Corvette. The spline type that takes an FR-4 tool was first available on the 1964 Sprint equipped bikes.
Atom 15-25 a.jpg

Atom 15-25 b.jpg

Atom 15-25.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all for the information. I knew that a conventional puller would not work but did not remember the specifics of what would work. As far as taking it to a local bike shop, there are none around that know or care to know about the old bikes. Sort of like our society in general...…..

Back