When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corvette conversion to 650B wheels

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Siestabikes

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a 61 Corvette that looks fair but rides like a brick. i have a decent set of chrome 650b wheels from an 80's Raleigh MTB and eyeing a set of Michelin World Tour whitewall 650b tires. the rear wheel takes a freewheel so 5 speeds would be in order. as for braking, i have a little adaptor that mounts in the rear fender hole and has a bolt to attach brake arms. adding a rear derailer, brake lever and shifter is easy and i believe i would have to change to the chainring to accept the narrow chain

has anybody attempted this and how were your results

I’ve not seen that done - you might be the first. Although I have seen several BSD 559mm conversations, which is about the same difference, just in the opposite direction. Most or all of those were coaster brake when done. I’ve also seen at least one BSD 597mm (S5/6) to 650b conversion on a lightweight. I’m curious about the brake adapter, as I’ve toyed with the idea of a BSD 559 conversion on my ‘Vette to be able to run snow tires.

If you’re ‘Vette is a three speed, I’d take the time to lace the AW hub into that rim. If you do go five speed, I’d go SIS, or not bother. I’m so over friction shifting at this point. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

i would convert to 559 but i feel i wouldnt be able to find a brake caliper long enough to reach. i will take a picture of the brake adapter tomorrow

For what it's worth, I actually really like the way mine rides with the S7's and Schwinn repro Westwind tires at 45psi. Compared to the 1961 date coded Westwinds it came with, it was night and day.

But tire options are nice. Yeah, even if a caliper could make that reach (559), it probably wouldn't be very powerful. The more I think about it, the bikes I've seen had to be coaster. I think the objective was to get balloon tires on there, or knobs for Klunker type builds.

A set of Dia-Compe brake calipers off a late 70's to 80's Cruiser 5 should cover you with a BSD 559 with no rear adapter and a drilled fork. Pretty sure it was an MS 3.3

A set of Dia-Compe brake calipers off a late 70's to 80's Cruiser 5 should cover you with a BSD 559 with no rear adapter and a drilled fork. Pretty sure it was an MS 3.3
Thanks for that (and sorry OP for inadvertently taking your thread in a different direction). Cheapest and easiest for me is to simply put some cheap fenders on the $10 donor Fuji MTB I have, and ride as is. Probably add tourist bars, as I'm not into the flat bars. But swapping the 26 x 1.95 knobs onto the Vette seems like more fun. I have a spare AW hub, would need to come up with spokes and the brakes.

Although as I type this, I'm wondering what the Fuji would look like with tourist bars and full fenders. It's an old-geometry bike, so the top bar is parallel to the ground like a proper double diamond road bike frame. I might actually like that. And it's 3x6 indexed rear drivetrain, so there's that. And the plastic (I kid you not) cantilever brakes and crankset (WTF, Shimano!), would actually make sense in a bike that will see salt...

Last edited:
Putting the 650b thing aside for a moment, has anyone swapped rear hubs from a stock coaster brake to 3 speed hub, either SA or Shimano. Im wondering if the spoke lengths are close enough or if different spoke crossings could make up any difference. bike in question is still the 61 Corvette

Putting the 650b thing aside for a moment, has anyone swapped rear hubs from a stock coaster brake to 3 speed hub, either SA or Shimano. Im wondering if the spoke lengths are close enough or if different spoke crossings could make up any difference. bike in question is still the 61 Corvette
Take close measurements.
752164.png

Or use the on line calculators

Reactions: JLF
Back