When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could anyone identify this serial number from a 196? Gambles Hiawatha?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

PaulWR

Look Ma, No Hands!
My dad bought this bike from the Gambles store at the Valley Fair Mall in Appleton, WI around 1965. The S/N is WG3 .. 807C 407805. What year and model is it? My dad did a spray bomb repaint over everything in the mid 1970's obliterating the original paint. Other than that it rides nice. I do need a chain guard for it though. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I am trying. I am trying. Here we go.

100_2747.JPG

100_2748.JPG

100_2749.JPG

100_2750.JPG

100_2751.JPG

100_2752.JPG

100_2753.JPG

100_2754.JPG

100_2755.JPG

100_2756.JPG

100_2757.JPG

Last edited:
Not sure if these Murray Tennessee serial numbers have been deciphered; I have a WG3-808A-2x,xxx; might be a black Gambles Hiawatha. Perhaps yours a 1964 then? Picts, picts, picts.
Those Murray chain guards were kind of cheesy, with sheet metal screws instead of through bolting; same with their fenders. Up to you to use an original versus aftermarket, (or none).
There is a big retailer of bicycle parts in Appleton, WI.

Last edited:
Not sure if these Murray Tennessee serial numbers have been deciphered; I have a WG3-808A-2x,xxx; might be a black Gambles Hiawatha. Perhaps yours a 1964 then? Picts, picts, picts.
Those Murray chain guards were kind of cheesy, with sheet metal screws instead of through bolting; same with their fenders. Up to you to use an original versus aftermarket, (or none).
There is a big retailer of bicycle parts in Appleton, WI.
Yeah. A 1964 sounds just about right. I do remember it was black (and red?). I swore that I saw the chain guard in their basement about 35 - 40 years ago but it cannot remember where it went. You see my dad was a child during the Great Recession and never threw anything out, or never get put back in their place, so a lot of things got lost.

I will probably keep the bike for now and maybe even motorize it. I can just add it to my other 1964 year modes of transportation: a Corvair Monza convertible and an H-D Topper AH motor scooter. Thanks.

The bike had a tank originally also, the support tabs are there on the back of the steering tube.

The Bendix Red Band 2 (RB2) coaster brake hub may have been introduced in 1964. The cantilever tubes joined wider at the outsides of the down tube make me think later 1960’s.

'WG 3' is a code used by Murray on Gambles bikes, I believe they're differently coded than typical Murray numbers. The 1961-64 era numbers are a gray area, as there's a chart that dates to '59, and they went to a simple 'MO-5' for '65, MO-6, '66, etc.

Back