When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could these be prototype bicycle license plates?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Derek499

Look Ma, No Hands!
I was going through a lot of cereal box bike license plates that I bought and these stood out to me because they're stamped instead of printed like most of them. looking closer it became obvious that the blank white paint is the factory finish and they were never mounted. I haven't found any cereal box runs that had plates like this or any aftermarket plates like this either. The size, font and weight is very similar to the Tour De Fat license plates if you are familiar with those.
Does anyone here know about the stamping process?

Last edited:
Customs by some talented person. They never used a bike plate like that in this state. Very cool though and I'd be interested in one.

Last edited:
Probably off of a rack at some tourist trap,mixed in with the first names. These missed the blue paint for the letters.

Those are way too detailed to be on the same rack as the Name plates. You probably had to send in 20 empty Coors cans and $.25 to get one of those. I saw one very similar to that for the very first time last week, and I've been in Arizona since 1959.

I just picked up this one, because I liked the patina.
I thought it looked like something you’d find in a desert wash somewhere.
Any idea what years these were issued?

Those are way too detailed to be on the same rack as the Name plates. You probably had to send in 20 empty Coors cans and $.25 to get one of those. I saw one very similar to that for the very first time last week, and I've been in Arizona since 1959.

Tourist trap gift shop tags undoubtably. Souvenirs of your Grand Canyon trip.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks!
It looks like it was black with yellow letters, but I suppose the blue could’ve been burnt by the sun to look black and the white of the letters has yellowed over time.
It does say Bicycle, but the whole thing is pretty weathered and worn.

Thanks!
It looks like it was black with yellow letters, but I suppose the blue could’ve been burnt by the sun to look black and the white of the letters has yellowed over time.
It does say Bicycle, but the whole thing is pretty weathered and worn.

I like the patina restoration on yours.

Check these out in the link below. I have no idea how long Phoenix issued bike plates after the 60's but it looks like it was for some time judging by all the variations in the link below. Yours might be the brown and yellow? Phoenix and Mesa did not renew the license every year, they were permanent after paying a buck. I had my new 64 Varsity tagged and registered in Mesa at the Fire Station and I was freaking out when the Fireman started carving the plate number on my rims, stem and BB.

Last edited:
View attachment 1169180
I just picked up this one, because I liked the patina.
I thought it looked like something you’d find in a desert wash somewhere.
Any idea what years these were issued?
If it's steel it's definitely not an altered white and blue one as all were aluminum. White and blue ones Have a letter followed by five digits, where yours only has four like the steel green and white plates from the 50s. However those use a distinctive font ( look at the 2's) for their numbers and I'm not seeing that on yours, so I suspect yours is a predecessor to both.

Back