When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this thing! Look how cheap and cheesy the fork is!

-
There's a massive appetite for questionably manufactured goods today, and one thing I have noticed is that where today's "retro" bikes use steel parts, it's often really soft and crudely formed and finished steel.

I went through a big box store Schwinn for a family member because it was having problems. This was a utility type bike that was white and green (had fenders; chain guard; etc.). I don't recall the model name, but it was like a $200 bike, at least that's what I was told. It was actually reasonably attractive. But mechanically, it was not good. The tolerances were very loose; the bearing races were not properly hardened; and there was not enough grease in the bearings anywhere. Stamped steel parts were under-built and very soft. Sprocket and cog teeth wore quickly. The chain was of a basic, indifferent quality. The bottom bracket cups rattled around due to a very loose fit. The headset never seemed to be right - either it would bind or the fork would be loose. Some tolerance there was off as well, but eventually it was made passable. After one year of use, the bottom bracket cups had gouges. None of the bearing cage assemblies could be re-used - too cheap and too badly set up.

I guess what this adds up to is that there's this whole underbelly of "retro" bikes of all different brands that came onto the market, but that were bicycles in appearance only. There was no attention to properly hardening the right surfaces, or of manufacturing sufficiently sturdy steel parts. There was no attempt to get tolerances right. In some cases, I've seen bikes in big box stores where bars and cranks are noticeably bent, even to the naked eye... and these are supposed to be new bikes. There was not enough know-how in the store for a proper set up, and the product itself was not properly manufactured to start with.

A basic, 1970s era Chicago Schwinn usually had at least correct manufacturing techniques and decent quality on it. They were heavy and largely obsolete in some ways, but I will say they were well-made and tended to be very durable. The stuff people are getting sold now as "new retro" type bikes in the big box stores aren't even close to that, let alone a 1940s or 50s era Schwinn when quality and features were much better than in later years. My relative should have spent $100 or $150 on a basic 1970s Schwinn 3-speed and all the needed tune-up parts rather than $200 on a new big box Schwinn. With proper maintenance you might be able to get that 1970s Schwinn to last a lifetime, and that certainly will not happen for the big box bike I was stuck fooling with.

There's a massive appetite for questionably manufactured goods today, and one thing I have noticed is that where today's "retro" bikes use steel parts, it's often really soft and crudely formed and finished steel.

I went through a big box store Schwinn for a family member because it was having problems. This was a utility type bike that was white and green (had fenders; chain guard; etc.). I don't recall the model name, but it was like a $200 bike, at least that's what I was told. It was actually reasonably attractive. But mechanically, it was not good. The tolerances were very loose; the bearing races were not properly hardened; and there was not enough grease in the bearings anywhere. Stamped steel parts were under-built and very soft. Sprocket and cog teeth wore quickly. The chain was of a basic, indifferent quality. The bottom bracket cups rattled around due to a very loose fit. The headset never seemed to be right - either it would bind or the fork would be loose. Some tolerance there was off as well, but eventually it was made passable. After one year of use, the bottom bracket cups had gouges. None of the bearing cage assemblies could be re-used - too cheap and too badly set up.

I guess what this adds up to is that there's this whole underbelly of "retro" bikes of all different brands that came onto the market, but that were bicycles in appearance only. There was no attention to properly hardening the right surfaces, or of manufacturing sufficiently sturdy steel parts. There was no attempt to get tolerances right. In some cases, I've seen bikes in big box stores where bars and cranks are noticeably bent, even to the naked eye... and these are supposed to be new bikes. There was not enough know-how in the store for a proper set up, and the product itself was not properly manufactured to start with.

A basic, 1970s era Chicago Schwinn usually had at least correct manufacturing techniques and decent quality on it. They were heavy and largely obsolete in some ways, but I will say they were well-made and tended to be very durable. The stuff people are getting sold now as "new retro" type bikes in the big box stores aren't even close to that, let alone a 1940s or 50s era Schwinn when quality and features were much better than in later years. My relative should have spent $100 or $150 on a basic 1970s Schwinn 3-speed and all the needed tune-up parts rather than $200 on a new big box Schwinn. With proper maintenance you might be able to get that 1970s Schwinn to last a lifetime, and that certainly will not happen for the big box bike I was stuck fooling with.

You said a mouthful! And the biggest drag about the massive flood of retro bikes is how they have
'numbed' the masses to a point where an original USA ballooner rarely gets a glance by passerby.
Everything 'looks' vintage, but is completely the opposite, contrived and poorly manufactured.

All it needs is the number "43" on it and you could sell it for double the price ;)

080316-NASCAR-Richard-Petty.vresize.1200.630.high.0.jpg

If they survive. I see the City DPW trucks bring in trashed bikes by the dozens every week from the homeless camps. I'm sure these will be showing up too along with the many brands pay to ride bikes and scooters. I took this photo early this week on my commute. The hoodie worn as pants really goes well with the Electric Scoot Scooter. I'd guess he was 35 or so but very tanned and weathered face, a buzz cut, half smoked cigarette tucked behind his ear. He brought on board his own special miasma of odors. But the wardrobe, White T-shirt under gray hoody with a blue hoody for pants, legs in sleeves and the very stunning effect of the hood hanging between his legs. But then it got better. As the bus got up to speed the scooter starts beeping , 4 beeps, pause, 4 beeps, pause etc. He starts talking to the scooter, scolding it for making noise, "Why are you doing that? You didn't make that sound in the parking lot!" "Stop that now, your too loud." He addressed the scooter like someone talking to a dog or small child. At times the beeping stopped and I realized it seemed to be related to how fast the bus was going. I think the beep was a warning that the scooter was traveling too fast. As we crawled south on 101 it would beep as speed increased and stop when we slowed, he scolded the scooter for beeping each time, commenting at large to his fellow travelers. The hood swung back and forth under him.

20181203_074137_resized.jpg

Back