When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Couple of Red Blooded Americans

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

1937Zenith

Finally riding a big boys bike
Both 1963 from why I can tell. Just picked these up $30 each. Not sure what I’m gonna do with them yet but figured i couldn’t lose at $30. Anyone have tips on cleaning up the paint and knocking some of the surface rust off without doing too much damage? Thanks in advance

B7BD016F-3A96-498C-92AB-3859C01EB340.jpeg

4CA0303A-0DBA-40F7-B283-1740F51615DC.jpeg

AC314D43-C5A2-483D-83E5-A19DC45331B2.jpeg

I would try 0000 steel wool & WD40 to clean the paint up, just avoid the screens!!!!!
See what the other CABERs chime-in with...cool bikes, not a bad deal!
Appreciate it will give it a shot for sure! Yeah I’ve made the mistake before…was trying to free up a chain and got a little pb blaster on the chain guard and went to dab it off and Schwinn just disappeared!!! Still pissed off at myself for that mistake

Both 1963 from why I can tell. Just picked these up $30 each. Not sure what I’m gonna do with them yet but figured i couldn’t lose at $30. Anyone have tips on cleaning up the paint and knocking some of the surface rust off without doing too much damage? Thanks in advance

View attachment 1650567

View attachment 1650568

View attachment 1650569
That is a great score. Yes what @Lonestar said WD40 and 0000steel wool. Then a good cleaning and coat of quality wax. Good luck

I’m getting ready to clean up a 64’ American. I too am looking for advice on proper cleaning techniques.

I’m getting ready to clean up a 64’ American. I too am looking for advice on proper cleaning techniques.
Your best bet is to do some searching around on the site chances are someone has posted the information you will need. Lots of good instructional manuals on the site as well. Other wise you can make a post of your own asking for advice. Make sure you post pictures everyone loves pictures. Good luck with your American

I would not use any WD40 or any steel wool on any of Schwinn flamboyant or opalescent paint , it will take the paint right down to the undercoat . It’s fine for the solid opaque colors but not the candy colors, they are very thin and you’ll find that even on bikes that have very good paint , even wax will remove a lot of paint. These paints do not have a clear top coat and oxidize / fade easily when left to the elements of time and weather that’s why they look like they do .I never use anything abrasive on them . I only spray them with Scott’s Liquid Gold and let dry , sometimes gently wipe and spray again if they’re dirty . Even the beautiful blue on my American turns the white T- shirt blue with a spray on wax
Wherever you already see the silver undercoat the red paint is already gone and ain’t coming back, all you will do using steel wool is loose more paint

AB6D33AB-AB55-4DCA-BFEA-898B446398B8.jpeg

780777AB-9D11-435F-B1F6-1FA6978A02CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Back