When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracked Rim?

-

Moseph

Look Ma, No Hands!
As anyone ever had a rim crack near the valve stem like this? Is there anything I can do about it, or does it just need to be replaced?

Attachments

• 20141231_153847.jpg
    20141231_153847.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 127
Hard to tell from pics, but I don't actually think that it's a crack. I've seen similar things on other wheels where the seam is welded and then finished / smoothed. Imperfections in the smoothing process create a small ridge which then gets crud packed under it and it looks like a crack. Besides, it's a double-wall rim. Even if it is a crack, it's not going to be a catastrophic failure like modern rims.
Cheers, Geoff

If it is a Schwinn tubular rim it is most likely the weld used to connect both ends of the rim once it was cut to length and rolled. Often, but not always they drilled the valve stem in the middle of the weld.

Sure looks like a curb ding just off from the stem hole. As said above, there are welds at that location and to me it looks cracked. Maybe take the tire and rim strip off and check the inside.

take the tire off the wheel and have it welded from the inside if possible or outside if needed if you feel it will not last but it should be fine once done.

Thanks for the replies guys. I noticed it about two months ago but I was lazy and kept forgetting to make this thread. There hasn't seemed to be any change in it since I noticed it, and I've probably put about 100 miles on it or less since then. I do ride this bike all the time when its nice out though, I have put almost 1700 miles on it since July 2013, thats why I was worried about it. One of these days I'll take the tire off and have a look at it from the inside.

Back