When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Craigs List, disappointment and keeping your word

-
Got to burn this rule into your mind! When talking to a seller over the phone about buying an old bike or antique car ALWAYS ask, "Is there any frame damage?' Because if there is, I am not interested." Nine times out of ten the seller will say, "No, there's no damage that I am aware of." They could be lying or ignorant, who cares. The point is, you asked and that gives you an out. I stay away from any bike or car that has a repaired frame or needs repair. Too many nice ones out there to bother with the bad ones. Always look the frame over for cracks, dents, rust-outs, and signs of bondo.

Welding looks like Helen Keller did it...on a bad day.

That's a really crappy seller who apparently ran into the house with the cash and locked the door before you could even turn around to see how bad it was. But a once over would have called for, even seeing this side.
I went out to the Island to get a Schwinn last year that only had one side pictured. When I got there it looked nice...until I saw the other side. Half the paint was missing and covered in rust. I just looked at him and politely said "way to much work" and left.
I do get embarrassed sometimes to really go over a bike when I know I'm getting a great deal as to not offend the seller. I figure for a low price I can deal with it, if for parts only. However...sadly...yours is past that point.

Happens... it’s common for some says they’ll pay more or it’s worth more via email while your looking at it .. it becomes pressure to buy it.... your in that blind moment where your not thinking straight and the big score is in your mind....Can’t say how many times I’d like to punch that emailer in the face.... I absolutely prefer to look and inspect before I buy but this is the new world of buying which makes it a instant yes/no deal... before the internet, I’ve bought a buffet and didn’t look carefully inside...it was a killer buffet...it was against the wall and looked good in the dark...after I bought it I discovered the entire back was gone.. total junk....soon after I bought it I noticed they put up a AS IS sign on the wall ...oh man I was pissed......they ripped me off and they new it....I’ve lost lots of money that way but I figure the next one makes up for it. Now I Just move on to the next find...

If something is misrepresented, the original deal is null and void IMO. I once drove to Detroit from north of Boston for a turbo Legacy. Left after work Friday and met the guy on Saturday morning. He knew I was coming from 800 miles away or so and must have thought he had me by the shorts as his "body in great condition for its age" was nonsense—his '93 had far, far had more rust than my '90 with signs that it had been rallied and not taken care of (rot in places that would only get rotted from sitting mud that would only accumulate there from high speeds). Needed a clutch, full suspension, and had a bunch of other small issues (none of which were mentioned in spite of me asking on the phone prior), as well as just seeming EoL. He tried to deny the issues to my face until I told him that I have extensive experience with rot and could put my fist through the "minor bubbled paint" on the fenders and quarter panels if he wanted to test his honesty. Told him I'd take it for less than a quarter his asking, yank the engine (valuable, fairly rare closed deck block which is what I mostly wanted it for, anyway) to throw it in the back of my car, and junk the shell locally. He didn't go for it, as I figured he wouldn't and I was back home later that day.

A year or so later, someone else came on the old Subaru board to try to sell the same car and I told everyone about the POS. Turned out the seller wasn't him, but the inexperienced mark he ended up getting to buy it and she was just trying to recoup some money. I felt bad, but she understood and we spent some time cursing the bastard. She learned her lesson the same expensive way I did (though at least my 240Z was cheaper).

as a seller I generally ignore people who say they will buy my item over the phone. after they see it they can buy it or leave without it, it would not matter one bit to me. NOTHING is ever sold until I have the money in hand. people say all sorts of things on the phone, the only thing for certain is you had a phone call.

The second question would be some thing like this: "Was the owner of this bike a big boned boy with a crew cut whose Daddy was an unemployed welder who's idea of foreplay is 'Hey Sis, are you awake?"
You got that part right ! Can I use yer photos to teach my students what NOT to do ? My old Welding Teacher used to say " Them welds look like" Cat SH _T on top uh Dog SH _ T !!!! " NEVER to me though...................God rest his soul :disrelieved: Boy the subject of sellers descriptions.....................That's a BIG Can of Worms. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Back